Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 396 fired up. Long story short, my valve seals were ripped, got the builder to replace them and no more smoke .. great news!

Couple details on the motor:
Qjet carb
Stock Style Distributor but with an HEI module
Reproduction stock plug wires from Ground Up

Now the bad news. Went to pick the car up from him today and couldn't drive the car home it ran so bad. Before I gave him the car there was definitely a "flat spot" in the carb at idle to say 1500 rpm. The motor would smooth out after I got the rpms going. Now my problems seem more amplified. I still have the flat spot but seems worse. I almost had to feather the throttle to get the car to go in first gear, would hear 1 pop from the carb, it would bog down then I would push the gas more and get it to go. Not good.

We were checking to make sure the plug wires were on good, and when I touched #4 wire at the boot it zapped me. The builder say, Hmm think you have a bad wire there ... he had another wire laying around and swapped it out .. but no difference.

Got to talking with my mechanic buddy back east and he say maybe the rest of your wires are bad. He said maybe the wires are strong enough to handle the modified distributor and the wires are bleeding into each other (my words, can't remember what term he used).

So that got me thinking. The guy who built the Distributor said ""under no circumstances are any stock Copper or steel core plug wires to be used. He recommends something like Magnetic suppression spiral or magna core 7 or 8 mm wires." I asked the question awhile back on the tech line if the reproduction wires I bought would be okay .. I was told Yes. BUT, maybe not...

Has anyone had issues running these types of wires with an HEI module on their distributor? Does it sound like the wires could be an issue?

Appreciate your thoug

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where is your timing set at? Once you get moving does it accelerate ok or still bog down? Sounds like maybe accelerator pump and/or timing? Would recommend some better wires as well stock repros maybe causing some crossfire. How old is the carb! Has it been sitting around may need rebuild?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carb is a fresh rebuilt from custom carbs .. gave them all the spec of my motor including 5000ft altitude. Timing needs some tweaking but something is way wrong besides off a degree or two. When I accelorate it smooths out but wouldn't say good performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts