Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i been told that the sparks plug shields were to be installed on my 1970 396 ss in the day, i also remember the shields would short out the plug, we would take them off for that reason should i install them again for judging.

·
Premium Member
1970 SS454 LS6 11 second street car
32,405 Posts
Those shields do not belong on a big block Chevelle...not factory installed. Along with the cowl grilles and "caution:fan" sticker you see on a lot of incorrectly detailed cars.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,739 Posts
Probably part of GM's "Planned Obsolescence " strategy, all the leaves and crap would fall in there, get washed down inside the fenders and rust them thru. The fenders on my 70 LS-6 lasted 3 years before having to be repaired, I believe this was the first year for GM using "reprocessed" steel for their bodies and the process was not yet perfected on making "reprocessed steel", so RUST came easily. FWIW.....Spark plug shields, i believe were shown in the assembly manuals for early C-2 Corvettes (1965 ?) attached to the metallic spark plug shielding so you could listen to your new Delco radio, without plug noise, while cruising in your NEW C-2. I've never seen them, just in the assembly manual pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to know. I was just looking at a Chevelle at a car show Sunday that had the cowl grilles and I started to wonder if maybe I lost them when I had my car apart 10yrs ago.
Did they come on Malibu's or were they always an aftermarket item?

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,739 Posts
I think they may have been factory on another GM "A" body car line...ie Buick, Pontiac or Olds...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,189 Posts
I think they may have been factory on another GM "A" body car line...ie Buick, Pontiac or Olds...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
That makes sense to me. Seems like every Chevelle I see at cruise nights has them, so it must have been the thing to do back then. I remember scrounging thru the junkyards back then just to see what was available, too.

Along these same lines - I see a lot of people adding chrome pedal trim on all 3 Chevelle foot pedals. IIRC, that wasn't Chevelle factory either.

·
Premium Member
17,560 Posts
Probably part of GM's "Planned Obsolescence " strategy, all the leaves and crap would fall in there, get washed down inside the fenders and rust them thru. The fenders on my 70 LS-6 lasted 3 years before having to be repaired, I believe this was the first year for GM using "reprocessed" steel for their bodies and the process was not yet perfected on making "reprocessed steel", so RUST came easily. FWIW.....Spark plug shields, i believe were shown in the assembly manuals for early C-2 Corvettes (1965 ?) attached to the metallic spark plug shielding so you could listen to your new Delco radio, without plug noise, while cruising in your NEW C-2. I've never seen them, just in the assembly manual pictures.
There are rubber seals on both sides of those openings to keep debris out.

·
Premium Member
17,560 Posts
Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and Pontiacs used a mesh screen. Kind of like a screen door screen.

·
Premium Member
17,560 Posts
Good to know. I was just looking at a Chevelle at a car show Sunday that had the cowl grilles and I started to wonder if maybe I lost them when I had my car apart 10yrs ago.
Did they come on Malibu's or were they always an aftermarket item?
nope. Always been an incorrect aftermarket part

1 - 20 of 26 Posts