Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the spark plugs when a deep socket won't fit?. I have a 69' 396 with Merlin heads and Hooker Super Comps with 2" primeries and put the plugs in before the headers, this is with the body off the frame. I'm wondering if there is a special tool like a distributor hold down wrench out there?.

·
Registered
47 Posts
David,

I purchased an inexpensive short spark plug socket with a hex head for a 3/4 open/box end wrench. It was just short enough for me to slide it on with my fingers and then "fish" in the box end of the wrench over and commence turning it in small increments.

My problem was getting to the number six (6) plug, I could either look at it or touch it but not both. My regular spark plug "T" handle wrench would not fit and the deep 5/8 socket would not clear either.

I trashed a couple of inexpensive sockets by shortining them to the point that the plug was hanging out of both ends of the socket but then could not engineer a way of rotating the socket. Eastmans has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive plugs square on one end to plug into the socket and hex on the other end to put a wrench on but this too would not fit.

I have toyed with the idea of purchasing an inexpensive off set box end wrench, cut it off to make a "shorty" wrench and then cut a gap like a flair nut wrench to slide over the spark plug insolator so you don't have to clear the wrench over the end of the plug.

You see the off set box end should fit down in the cast well of where the spark plug hole is in the head - but I haven't gotten around to doing it. If you try that let us know how it worked.

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used the offset boxed end wrench for removing hard to get at plugs for years. I have one full length to break it loose and a short one for removal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
GOLDEN67,

Thanks, I thought that might be the answer and was waiting to get to one of those grab-bag tables at a car show and butcher up a couple of 5/8 inch off set box ends to see what I could come up with.

You have beat me to market which is outstanding. On your "shorty" did you cut a gap so you can slide it over the insulator and not go over the end?

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never thought about that. I'll have to try it next time. Let us know if it works for you. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.