Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plugs that have been used in my car were NGK BR6ES and Autolite 404. At the recommendation of a parts store I purchased Champion RN14YC. I noticed that the thread reach is the same but the overall length from the thread base to the electrode arm is about 1/4 inch longer than either of the other plugs I used. I purchased my car pretty much done and don't know if the pistons are dome or not (previous owner couldn't remember). The heads are L34 and the bottom end is 454. Can anyone tell me if it is okay to use these plugs whether or not I have dome pistons. Some people I've spoken to say it doesn't matter, dome or not there is still plenty of clearance. Thank in advance for your replys.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
and why did you not use the same plugs as already installed?? I'd be wary of a plug that's 1/4" longer... A longer plug runs hotter too, might get into pre-ignition or detonation. You might try using a plug for whatever year the heads are and go from there.

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is you have a projected nose plug. I would think if you are using a stock piston that plugs of this type would be fine. I can't say I would run Champions, work good in lawn mowers, tractors and irrigation pumps. Why not use the plugs GM put in, good old ACs????? That Champion plug can be crossed to an AC.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I second that about Champions. Everytime I have used Champions the plugs always get fouled. With A.C. I never have a problem.

------------------

69 Malibu 454
ACES Member #3635

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.