Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Not that I am aware of. You can make your own which is what I do and can either make it from fiber carpet pad underlayment (found at retail carpet stores. Ask for scraps from their installers as they recycle it) or make it from thick tar paper and cut to size.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Rick. Not everyone would put this back in the car but I want to keep this thing as close to original as possible. I figured I would either sandwich something like dynamat on top of the originals to keep them in one piece or use the originals as a template and make new ones. Any idea where you can buy thick tar paper?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I used EZ Cool automotive insulation. Around a buck a sq. ft.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,279 Posts
Thanks for responding Rick. Not everyone would put this back in the car but I want to keep this thing as close to original as possible. I figured I would either sandwich something like dynamat on top of the originals to keep them in one piece or use the originals as a template and make new ones. Any idea where you can buy thick tar paper?
Would 30 lb. roofing tar/felt paper work?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I have a question regarding installation of sound deadener.
I am working on my 64 El Camino.
I am about ready to put in the stuff but I dont know if any wiring should be laid under the deadener or put the deadener in and keep the wiring on top of it.
The El Camino has the wiring to the rear running in that channel under the clips made into the floor pan.
I just want to do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I would suggest either cutting a channel to lay that intermediate harness in or laying it on top if using a product like Dynamat. If you lay it under you will have a LOT of work ever getting it out from under it. If you simply use the replacement sound deadener available from the reproduction stores or another product that does stick to the floor then put the harness under the sound deadener.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts