Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Seems about ball park to me. LS-6 is a solid lifter engine. That has a hydraulic cam.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
For that much money, I'd rather have a more believeable LS6 casting date, than the, August 31, 1970,
"engine block casting date", [H 31 70].......

I would be concerned, that this engine never left the factory, in a "FACTORY BUILT LS6 Chevelle SS"..
Mainly because of the blocks "late casting date", but also because the [CRR] "block appears to have been re-stamped" I would have, some really, really serious doubts, about it's ORIGINAL authenticity..............Don.
I have no knowledge, of any later built 1970 LS6 than 7/20/1970.

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
For that much money, I'd rather have a more believeable LS6 casting date, than the, August 31, 1970,
"engine block casting date", [H 31 70].......

I would be concerned, that this engine never left the factory, in a "FACTORY BUILT LS6 Chevelle SS"..
Mainly because of the blocks "late casting date", but also because the [CRR] "block appears to have been re-stamped" I would have, some really, really serious doubts, about it's ORIGINAL authenticity..............Don.
T0108CRR . . . .Hmmm! January 8, 1970 engine assembly date and an August 31, 1970 casting date.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, good point about the casting date, didn't catch that. Could this be an over the counter LS6, or do you think it is just another 4 bolt 454 that was restamped? It is a shame with all the fraud in the hobby now. I remember in the late 80's when I started getting into the hobby there wasn't any of the fraud you see now. I still can remember a neighbor of mine having an original SS 454 LS6 build sheet and all in 1989, he wanted 15 grand for it then, and it was real nice, not frame off, but nice. I remember thinking to myself, that is an insane amount of money, so for my first car I settled on a nice 70 Malibu with a 350 for 2 grand. Wish I got that bank loan for the LS6 back then.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would think since, [with that casting date], the engine would have been meant for a 1971 model, therefore the "Tonawanda factory", should'nt be stamping "year old codes", on newer model engines.......
I believe it's a, re-stamp........."If it were a real 1971 Corvette LS6", it's still a re-stamp.................Don.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Well a it was at a fair price a few days ago. Around 5K then, 8K now is a bit high in my opinion also. Its just another high performance 454 engine after all is said and done anyways. That kind of money could go a long way toward a nice 454 or 502 crate motor actually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts