Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son came over with a 1980 cutlass.V8 260 RWD and was trying to change belt on the powersteering pump but could not seem to loosen it so it would slide We loosened evry bolt and nut i could see in the dark and no results Is there a trick or something i'm missing. Do you have to remove a bracket so it adjust?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Get some light in there to verify that all bolts are loosened. If indeed all are loose, then adjustment is made from another pulley or power accessory that share a belt with the power steering. I can't speak for the particular car you are working on, but I have worked on cars that required bracket removal before pump would move. Really, I anm going to guess that *one* more bolt remains to be loosened.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Look at the top of the pump between the pulley and the pump body. There is one 9/16 head size bolt there. I'm guessing thats the one that got missed. There also is a nut on the lower back side of the pump.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i,m not sure on an olds , but pontiac and buick have two holes in the pulley that access a bolt behind the pulley good luck.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. It was the bolt behind the pulley.Belts are changed and i've put away my metric tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.