Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 SS with a factory 230 6cyl, sometimes the starter does not do anything when I try to start the car. Most the time this happens when I am running a quick errand and I am only out of the car for less than 5 minutes, and I leave the radio or the lights on. I get in the car and turn the switch - NOTHING, no click nothing. The radio, the lights, and all the electrical seem to work, but the starter does nothing. I can push start the car and then all is fine.
I know some of you V-8 guys will think that the starter is getting hot from the exhaust but the exhaust is on the other side of the motor from the starter.

W

·
0 Posts
I would try a new starter or maybe just the solenoid. I had a 63 chevy that did the same thing, junk starter.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll add to mr409's post by saying remove, check and clean all the connections and their mounting points. Bare metal is good. I had the same problem. Engine ground cable was bolted to rust!

------------------
Bruce L.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem too! Check all the connections, but the brushes might be bad also. The starter doesn't have to get real hot for the brushes to magnetize themselves and not allow the power of your battery to turn them over. The funny thing is that my car would start when jumped. The extra votage of the other car's alt. would be enough to over power the magnetism of the brushes. You might also want to have the starter bench tested. O'Reilly's, Autozone, and Parts America will bench test for free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's probably the starter or solenoid, but I'll give you a weird one.

I had a '64 SS that did this, off and on, for years. Drove me nuts. Finally discovered that the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid was too high resistance, wasn't getting enough current to the solenoid (sometimes). Replaced the wire, problem solved.

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
My .02 Replace the Bat cables also. I went absolutley nuts chasing problems finally replaced the cables, fine since. My set cost me a whole $10 for both

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went through this with my 96 chevy pick up.Went trough 4 starter,two battery,and 4 night of touble shooting.My problem was the bolt on the side post was corroded.Double check the cables on the battery and the starter!!

------------------
66SS
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold#161
96 Impala SS
Hoss Impala #216

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.