Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I continue to beat my head against a wall wrenching on this old stuff. Much like the times when our cars were first built, we are in an era of performance. Many hot rods at that time were put aside for then-new cars that offered performance right from the showroom. Today I can walk into my local dealership and buy a new car with stupid power, modern conveniences and a warrantee.

Maybe I'm getting old. I just spent a long time working on my wing vents and door seals to cut down on wind noise. In the end, I still have nearly as much wind noise. After that I went to replace my headers with new ones of smaller diameter. The old ones cleared everything, but the tubes were too big for my current engine and they hung low enough that I scraped if I wasn't careful. I had to dent one tube quite a bit on the passenger side, and the driver's side needs more than I can get with it in the car, but picking up the motor enough to get it out is another all day project in itself.

I'm tired. Rant over.

Devin

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.23 posi
521 Posts
I'm not too bothered by installing things that I have the tools and the time for but I have little desire for troubleshooting. I would rather let my mechanic solves those issues. My new (to me) work car is so generic that I have twice walked up to another white SUV in a parking lot. These new cars are nice but they lack the uniqueness and character of our classic rides.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
10,972 Posts
I've had a few of the newer performance cars and sure they're nice but they just aren't the same. When I sold my 69 Camaro probably close to 20 yrs. ago now I felt I was done with the old cars. After my sprint with the newer cars in 2012 I bought my current old car my 71 Malibu. Maybe because I did have the newer cars I had to make this car as clean as I could and to look like it was a car well taken care of. The one thing with the new cars I wouldn't touch them mechanically and I think I missed that. I have both of the two worlds but the 2017 Challenger I have is my everyday car and is just a GT V-6 model.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've had a few of the newer performance cars and sure they're nice but they just aren't the same. When I sold my 69 Camaro probably close to 20 yrs. ago now I felt I was done with the old cars. After my sprint with the newer cars in 2012 I bought my current old car my 71 Malibu. Maybe because I did have the newer cars I had to make this car as clean as I could and to look like it was a car well taken care of. The one thing with the new cars I wouldn't touch them mechanically and I think I missed that. I have both of the two worlds but the 2017 Challenger I have is my everyday car and is just a GT V-6 model.
Well heres my two on this first off this is what we drove when we were kids and the good times rolled it was affordable new or used parts were cheap30 /30 or 327 / 350 horse cam 28 bucks at the dealer. two you could stick your hands in and fix it Hy test was 25 cents a gallon Gulf crrest Super premium 102/3 octane. The country was united everybody was working and happy . Those vintage cars were a piece of istory and should be left the way they were made modernizing and computerizing them ruins the car. Today life is three times as hard as before even if your smart.everything is a chore and everybody sticks their a-- in everybody elses bussiness. there are many advancements in mdicine and technology where we lost is in the people and the mindset. they were suposed to improve with the medicine and technology but they didnot they got critical and intolerant . years ago even if you did not care for someone you were tolerant of them not these days most are BUDINSKIES when they should be BUDOUTSKIES. Alex

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Agree with almost all that Alex, except the non computer part.
The cars still look "COOL" no matter what's under the hood.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Recently got back from a cross country trip with a couple friends. I had my 67, along with me was a C6 vette and a 22 Skat pack challenger. I'll give you one guess who by far got the most thumbs up and questions at stops.

·
Premium Member
24,672 Posts
I've met more than one "car guy" who buys some modern car and never touches it. We're not "car guys", we're GEAR HEADS, or HOT RODDERS.

Any mope can make monthly payments. PERMANENT SATISFACTIONS are something else all together.

And I , for one, am not so into making old cars modern. What for? Luxury? Buy a frikin' Caddy then. Want to "look like" a car guy? Buy a Vette and never take it to Watkins Glen to see how you and it perform. Just make the payments and dream.

The fellas I was racing against last year? They took their modern rides and HOT RODDED them to run high 10's. A fine endeavor in my book! Blew my old skool muscle away, but its OK> I would have been PO'd if I was blown away by stock rides. I know they can these days with ease. Yet, most " car guys" making payments never track their rides.

The young fella who spoke of making his final $700+ payment on the Cobra and then blew the rear end with his "two step" doing a John FOrce burnout in front of me? That kid gets my "gearheads' respect"!

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
The young fella who spoke of making his final $700+ payment on the Cobra and then blew the rear end with his "two step" doing a John FOrce burnout in front of me? That kid gets my "gearheads' respect"!
Those haunting missteps are often priceless when you can think back and chuckle a bit.

Reactions: 427L88

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
476 Posts
I beat my head against the wall over this before finally figuring it out, at least how me and mine work.

You've hit the wall of limits which the world provides. Its like pursuing a lower ET, theres a set number you may never achieve because it will be prevented. Fruitless to attempt further progress. You will be allowed to retain previous accomplishments but any attempts at improvement will be reversed by your trying. You can either be happy and quit trying or continue beating your head in perpetuity, your choice.

I used to enjoy arriving at an intersection where some late model is the coolest thing in sight and ruining that for them. But now Mustang Camaro Challengers rank with SUVs and I feel like an idiot for having my junk.

Abandon the pursuit of cool and go pay cash for a brand new drag car if thats you. Mine still has the ability to calm me and thats most important. The world sets a level for you. Mine stopped me well short of ever having a new car. Best not to try to push beyond that, theres only loss to be had. When earth is standing room only, others may begin to get it.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I hear what you're saying Devin. I too wonder why I keep hanging on to this vehicle of mine? Some times I want to sell it and other times I really love it and say I'll never sell it. I've had this el Camino for 33 years and I'm the second owner. I too have some wind noise, so I changed out my door seals for the second time since I've had it and guess what? Not much better at all. I enjoy working on it and I sometimes hate working on it. I think that half of the fun of owning a classic car is working on it or tinkering with it, especially when you're retired. I don't have the luxury of a vehicle lift, so when I have to spend any long amounts of time under the car making changes or fixing something, I pay for it for a few days afterwards with sore shoulders, hips, neck and knees. I'm 62 years old and I'm in really good shape, but anymore, crawling around under my vehicle on concrete for hours really kicks my ass! Especially when I am constantly getting up and down from underneath of it. I just can't seem to let her go. I still enjoy driving it, getting the thumbs up and talking with people about it that I meet. Even though I sometimes pay later physically with aches and pains after doing certain types of work on it, I really enjoy the time spent wrenching and listening to music in my garage. It takes my mind off of everything else and can be very relaxing and rewarding. Just remember, the next time you start complaining about your car, there are lots of people out there that would give just about anything to have your problem.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
We are a dying breed that hangs onto the past when cars represented more than power and status... It was Style man....!!! Whether it was a Chevelle Camaro GTO Charger Challenger Mustang or a Fairlane... these all had Style! Just like in the day when a new Suit fit you, you looked great. Felt great too. You went out in the world and could do anything! Just like that new suit your car said who you were...! Different than the others... We are different that the others ladies and gentlemen and always will be.
Very few people will talk to you about your NEW car when stopped or getting gas... They all look the same... Your old car well it draws em in like flies to... well you know, and talk , ask, reminisce... The old car does it all Style and flair is what these have over the new ones. Cars didn't look the same for 10 years straight or longer. that's for sure. Not sure what car designers do any more...
New cars may have the power and the gleam of a new machine... Just like the modern suit of clothes a Hoodie and a pair of way to short Flood jeans represents that new person of today, sadly from 25to 30 yards away I have a hard time telling a BMW from a Mercedes or the like... Even in daylight. And definitely never ask the owner what's under the hood....

Casey

·
Registered
1966 Chevelle Malibu same owner from 1966-2020
31 Posts
For me it
I really enjoy the time spent wrenching and listening to music in my garage. It takes my mind off of everything else and can be very relaxing and rewarding
I agree Steve. For me its my mental enema, a purge of all the bad stuff. Since the moment I purchased my first I enjoyed tooling in the garage. From High school to now being a single empty nester the constant has been me with some type of classic. So now as I'm wrenching or buffing or what have you I sometimes think of the memories of experiencing that time with my parents, kids, friends, not so much the ex :sick:. Buy yeah I get it... I had a frustrating weekend trying to replace some brake lines and last night was ready to sell everything... but hey, it beats watching TV.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will never be done wrenching on the old crap.... it is my therapy and reward for 10-12 hour days at work each week.

As noted above, I don't consider myself just a "car guy" but more a "gear head" or "hot rodder"... I'm not afraid to cut something up. Also, once I've built something I expect it to take on a personality of it's own....I expect it to try and hurt me...

Modern muscle is relatively safe, can be made to go fast, and predictable, drive to the track and drive back home.....I like the more bi-polar, un predictable, crazy things in life...I've been running my Chevelle in some Nostalgia drag events the last couple years, and have had a great time. Now I've bit
the bullet and am building my clapped out '55 210 2-door post into a legit old school track car... Good parts underneath, empty tin can, violent 4 speed, adrenaline charged wild girl interior and exterior...like I said, "Gear Head".... (60) yo and not stopping any time soon....
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Plant Wood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now I've bit the bullet and am building my clapped out '55 210 2-door post into a legit old school track car... Good parts underneath, empty tin can, violent 4 speed, adrenaline charged wild girl interior and exterior...like I said, "Gear Head".... (60) yo and not stopping any time soon....
Are you going to keep the "flow through" air conditioning? ;)

I know everybody like a little a$$ but no one likes a smart a$$

·
Registered
983 Posts
I grew up wrenching on cars and just loved it, and THOUGHT I wanted to do it for a living. After a six month stint in a transmission shop and two years in tech school and just short of my degree, I decided that I liked wrenching much more as a hobby than a job. I have kept on wrenching on cars to maintain my own and work on others for side money, but honestly, the ONLY wrenching that I derive any pleasure from is working on the Chevelle or my buddy's 57 Chevy, or my friend's old tractor. I do parts for a living and have found my true passion is metal fabrication and welding. I'd much rather MAKE or MODIFY stuff than FIX stuff, although I do fix a lot of stuff. Making this trailer from scratch is without a doubt the most fun thing I have ever done in my shop.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tree Asphalt

1 - 20 of 49 Posts