Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
If tires are black, asphalt is also black, when you burn a tire in a fire, it emits a nasty black smoke, then how come when you do a burnout on asphalt, the smoke coming from the tire is white?:confused:
I don`t know the asnwer to that one but how about this one,

Since the asphalt wears out the tires and there are millions of cars out there, where does the rubber go?

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
If tires are black, asphalt is also black, when you burn a tire in a fire, it emits a nasty black smoke, then how come when you do a burnout on asphalt, the smoke coming from the tire is white?:confused:
Its an equal opportunity thing so we can all just get along.:yes:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
ok heres the inside scoop
tires = black
asphalt= black
ACLU said smoke= white
note the 2 to 1 ratio = equality

Va is working on a way to make tire smoke black !!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don`t know the asnwer to that one but how about this one,

Since the asphalt wears out the tires and there are millions of cars out there, where does the rubber go?
I don't know about roads, but major air ports have a machine that removes the rubber left on the runways from airliner's landings.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
I'm not totally sure. But i thought rubber was white in color. That they add black color to this. When you want white walls. The factory buffs out the side walls taking the black color off. Might be an old tale. But thats what I thought.
Close. The White wall tires and white letter tires actually use a white rubber insert in thoise areas, then it's blended to match the plane of the black rubber to make a smnooth transition.

As for the black rubber, Rick's right. Tire manufacturer's add something called Carbon Black to the tires. Some manufacturer's also use other additives to make sure the tires stay black longer, instead of geting the brownish aged look. I think it's called "Just for tires" by Mennan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: here's a thought...

I think whichever poster mentioned that you're not actually "burning" the tire is on the right track.

When you literally light a tire on fire, you get black smoke from the actual combustion of the compounds in the tire. (And lots of it - great fun for a 10 year old kid to stay up all night with Dad burning tires in an apple orchard to keep it from frosting on the blooms! We'd probably be drawn & quartered for doing that nowadays!!!)

When you merely heat it up, as in a burnout, the friction heat is probably driving off the volatiles in the rubber as a chemical "steam" or vapor. Just a thought.

Similar situation happens with diesel engines. Get the injector pump dialed up rich for max power, and you get that black diesel "pulling" smoke from combustion. Keep dialing up the fuel beyond that point, and you start getting white smoke. The white occurs whenever you get so much fuel that you're actually vaporizing it into a "diesel steam" and blowing it out the exhaust rather than burning it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Subject: Something to think about

> >A Republican and a Democrat were walking down the
> >street when they came to a homeless person. The
> >Republican gave the homeless person his business card
> >and told him to come to his business for a job. He
> >then took twenty dollars out of his pocket and gave it
> >to the homeless person.
> >
> >The Democrat was very impressed, and when they came to