Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the new alternator is in and seems to be working, and John says it's not cooking nothing so I'm happy.

Except, today on the way home from work I notice the temp guage is reading 250! I pull over, and at idle it drops back to normal (about 180). I take off again, up it goes! A mile down the road I go over some bumps, and the (I'm guessing) voltage regulator clicks off, because the lights drop back down to pre-new-alternator brightness, the amp guage sticks straight at zero, and the temp guage reads normal for the rest of the ride. I don't remember it doing this on the ride in to work, so the only difference is having the lights on.

What's up with this?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
How old is the regulator? That may be cause of the lights acting up but not sure at the moment was is going on with the Temp gage.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watched it this morning (no lights) and it pushed up to 250. Sat in the parking lot for a minute and went right back down. Popped the hood and there is no sign of overheating.

I'll do a new regulator this weekend. I'd say the regulator is older than I am, but the car is 20 years younger than me so that won't fly...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Unless you buy a Delco, try a Wells solid state regulator P/N VR715 from AutoZone. Most stores have at least 1 in stock for around $11.00. Disconnect the battery before installing it.
If the voltage out of the alternator is swinging a lot, it can affect the gage reading. That's why I suggested working on one problem at a time. Just guessing but it sounds like the temp gage may be changing due to engine RPM. You are right to be cautious, but the reading seems to be changing faster that a true temperature problem.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed on the temp. I can sit at idle with normal temps, then rev up to 2,500 or so and watch it climb. I also see the amp guage push up towards +40 when the temp goes way up...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did the old "side of the road" repair on the way back from lunch - cooked the wiring to the electric fan on the radiator. It is wired through two relays, one (35 amp) from the horn relay to the fan, activated by a second from the IGN. Cooked the wires from horn relay to fan. It also looks like the temp relay (thw one wired from IGN to activate the other one) may be cooked, but don't know...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the 12 volt wires on both sides of the relay cooked, either the fan is having a problem or the wires are too small. No breaker or fuse on that line.
Odd the second relay would have a problem. It's only used to activate a coil.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by John_Muha:
If the 12 volt wires on both sides of the relay cooked, either the fan is having a problem or the wires are too small.
That's what I get for using the wire that came with the kit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts