Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I went over the suspension and frame with a fine tooth comb this afternoon and I couldn’t find anything wrong. Everything looked good and was tight. I checked the entire frame for cracks and saw nothing.
All four coil spring ends were seated correctly too. This was while the car was on a two post lift, so suspension hanging.
My frame is powder coated. Is powder coating thick enough/flexible enough to hide a frame crack?
Any way to check for frame twist or bends without a frame rack? Dimensioned drawings or ??
My car was a two owner 283/Powerglide gramma car with hubcaps when I bought it so I don’t think it was beat on before I got it. But it could have had an accident, who knows.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
My first guess would have been somethinng in the rear end. Maybe pull the cover off and have a look. If you are hearing a newnoise after doing some spirited launches then something gave.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I went over the suspension and frame with a fine tooth comb this afternoon and I couldn’t find anything wrong. Everything looked good and was tight. I checked the entire frame for cracks and saw nothing.
All four coil spring ends were seated correctly too. This was while the car was on a two post lift, so suspension hanging.
My frame is powder coated. Is powder coating thick enough/flexible enough to hide a frame crack?
Any way to check for frame twist or bends without a frame rack? Dimensioned drawings or ??
My car was a two owner 283/Powerglide gramma car with hubcaps when I bought it so I don’t think it was beat on before I got it. But it could have had an accident, who knows.
These are always a head scratcher, right up until you find it.

This probably is not it, but if you have adjustable arms on it, check all the threads really carefully. One of the arms could have had the threads strip out and it could be sliding in and out. It doesn’t happen often, but I have seen it happen.

·
Super Moderator
13,256 Posts
Did you try grabbing hold of the tires an shoving them back and forth ? What does the driveshaft feel like ? U-joints ? You might need to get a helper to shove on things while you watch ?

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
No, I built mounts for it. I’ll check them but it really feels likes it’s in the rear.
This pic is before I had them tig welded.

View attachment 720767
Nice engineering ! Did you re-engineer the 13 Camaro trans mount or just use the Chevelle trans mount ? That's another thing to check.Also if you have someone to help you after you get it off the lift try power braking it and see if you can get the symptom to happen that way,then follow any movement or the noise.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice engineering ! Did you re-engineer the 13 Camaro trans mount or just use the Chevelle trans mount ? That's another thing to check.Also if you have someone to help you after you get it off the lift try power braking it and see if you can get the symptom to happen that way,then follow any movement or the noise.
I built the mounts from scratch. During my measuring I realized two things:
1) The two side of the K frame where the motor mounts bolt are 90 degrees from one another.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Bumper

2) The sides of the engine block were parallel to one another. So I built a wood box to build my mounts to. Here is the box on the Camaro sub frame with the original Camaro mounts.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Machine tool Gas

for the transmission mount I just added a box tube spacer to raise it up.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

My brother has a set of Chassis Ears that I’m going to use to pinpoint the source of the noise.

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
I built the mounts from scratch. During my measuring I realized two things:
1) The two side of the K frame where the motor mounts bolt are 90 degrees from one another.
View attachment 720950

2) The sides of the engine block were parallel to one another. So I built a wood box to build my mounts to. Here is the box on the Camaro sub frame with the original Camaro mounts.
View attachment 720951

for the transmission mount I just added a box tube spacer to raise it up.
View attachment 720952

My brother has a set of Chassis Ears that I’m going to use to pinpoint the source of the noise.
I used them before just be patient as a lot of times its not evident right away and then everything you listen to starts to sound bad.Check the frame for cracks right about where the top of the rear shocks bolt up.Right near there is a corner that is a prime area for frame cracks on an Abody.
One other thing,have any of your body bushing bolts worked loose ?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts