Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting Power windows and Power door locks into my 72 Elcamino. anyone have a wiring diagram???? My chassis manual doesn't seem to show these diagrams. Any help greatly appriciated.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
423 Posts
For a lot of years, you should find what you are looking for in the "Fisher Body" manual.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Contrary to what a lot of people believe,
power windows were NOT an option in the '71-'72 Chevelle or El Camino (but power door locks were). I have seen a lot of these cars with power windows, but they were owner-installed.

What you need is a '72 Monte Carlo wiring diagram since they had power windows and locks available, and their wiring is basically the same as the Chevelle otherwise.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wes V
Thanks. Where can I find a fisher body manual?

dcarr
Are you sure about that?? I know el camino and monte/chevelle pw will not interchange. I got my pw from a 69 elcamino.
BTW I am not restoring the car. Just making it the way I want it.
that means every option I want on it will be on it.
Power locks and windows are a must to me for my ride.
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hope you are wrong about the power windows from a monte carlo, I may pick up the the complete assembles wiring and all from a 71 monte. I was told that everything will work I just have to use the tracks on my windows.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stevenb8
sorry bout the bad news but the window tracts from a chevelle/monte will not work in an elcamino.
the windows are shorter because of the wind wing. the motors, electrical and switches will work but not the tracts.

Dean,
thanks for the link on the 64 power window setup

Your insite is partially correct.
However, I am wiring it up in a 72. the fuse box, etc is from a 72 not a 69. Even the 70 hooks up differently than a 71-72. 71-72 are the same however. A diagram from either a 71 or 72 (chevelle, monte, any A body) is what i am looking for.

Anyone??? Anyone???
thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Mr. D,

I have a Fisher Manual for my '72 that (I think) has the diagrams you need. If you can wait until later tonight, I will scan and make them available to you.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mr. D.;

I'm kind of surprised that people know about the pages covering the conversion that I did on my 64 wagon.

It's rather out of date and I guess I should update it!

There is a comment in the pages about the fact that the units work "rather fast". Dang, it was as if the window was falling!!!!

I ended up trashing the original regulators that I got from the Oldsmobile and got some from a 67 Buick Skylark. The reason was that the gearing is different and as a result, the window goes up and down at a reasonable speed.

I ended up (once again) using the original (64) arms so that the reach was correct. I also had to make up an "adapter plate" for mounting. Using the original arms means that you have to cut off the ones from the power unit and then weld on the old ones. (you have to figure out the correct angle.

In regards to your original post, I'd go to the junk yards and look for another "A" body car that is the same year (or within that year "style"). You have to memorize the shape of the inner door panel!! If the inner panel is the same shape, are the attachments points for the power regulator the same, you are major lucky. I think the Monte Carlo idea is a good one.

"Reangling" or changing the arms is just a matter of cutting and welding.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JeffK
that would be great.
I need to see how the switches and motors are wired and where the power comes from on the fuse block.
Thanks

Wes,
I had read your info on the power windows about a year ago I think. I went back and re-read it. Easy??? Maybe for you.
are you an electrical engineer or something??
I will have to re-read it 5 or 6 times to understand the wiring stuff.

Please do update it. I am interested in reading it.
I will ask you some questions when I actually get to the point of wiring. Probably not for a month or so.
thanks again

Tim

·
Registered
196 Posts
MR D
I guess i forgot to mention in my post that I have a 72 ss convert chevelle, I just wanted to take the motors, wiring, switches ect and use the windows and tracks from my chevelle. Befor I do this I want to make sure this was a option for a 71-72 chevelle someone said that they were not a option on chevelles for 71-72.
thanks

·
Premium Member
312 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Someone have an Electrical diagram for Power windows, power door locks 72 elcamino?

power window/locks where availible for the chevelle if ordered in 71-72 you just had to check the box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.