Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a big problem with my paint that I think its solvent pop. I had done the body work and used some Evercoat gold filler and all appeared fine. I took it to a local body shop for paint months later. They said they needed to do some additional body work. They did some more “filler”; bock sanded and sprayed the car. Craters in the paint showed up after a few weeks. Body shop now says the problem was my filler. I have a hard time believing that my filler went through his filler, through the primer, base and clear. Who’s right? Can you have solvent pop from filler?
I’m meeting with them tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Hi guys, I have a big problem with my paint that I think its solvent pop. I had done the body work and used some Evercoat gold filler and all appeared fine. I took it to a local body shop for paint months later. They said they needed to do some additional body work. They did some more “filler”; bock sanded and sprayed the car. Craters in the paint showed up after a few weeks. Body shop now says the problem was my filler. I have a hard time believing that my filler went through his filler, through the primer, base and clear. Who’s right? Can you have solvent pop from filler?
I’m meeting with them tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.
Take very clear photos and post them. There are a few profesional body/paint guys here. Without seeing it any answer is just a guess.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Sounds like fish-eye more than solvent pop. Solvent pop is more like little blisters that have popped and laid back down, if you can imagine that. I'd just have another body shop look at it or threaten to get other's opinions. They know exactly what it is and might not have your best interest driving them.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Most likely fisheyes. Solvent pop is generally pretty small.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys for the input. I don't have pictures since they sanded it off. I met with them and the Standox paint rep today. They say the body fillers peroxide is coming through. I challenged this since my research shows no evidence that body filler can do this. They say the body fillers got to come off. Keep in mind that they body worked over my work. Sounds screwy to me. There is some throughout the car but was mostly on top of the rear qtrs. This is where the thickest filler is. Paint rep is going to supply crediits for paint which tells me its a paint issue not body filler issue.They are doing the work over at no cost to me, but we have a big pissing match going. This car was done to concourse standards and ready to show. Pissed in New Jersey

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If the filler was not mixed correctly you can have issues with the hardener as it's not evenly mixed and can cause soft spots blisters etc.If the peroxide hardener has gone seedy and old I have seen trouble as well.The days of filler "staining" base coat clear coat jobs are over,it used to be an issue back in the 80's.You are lucky the shop is being decent to you and fixing it.We never warranty anything that somebody else has done then bring it to us for paint.Not being a jerk or trying to put you down just stating facts.Please keep us posted,it would have been much easier to find an answer if you had pictures.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,578 Posts
Did you use any paint stripper on these panels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts