There are a lot of different solvents available. Most of the water based ones do not work very good unless your parts cleaner has a heater in it. Check around with some local shops to see what they are using.
I always laugh when I see the term "biodegradable" or "non toxic" or especially "not hazardous" when used to describe a parts cleaning solution. The minute you get one ounce of grease or oil disolved in the solvent, it becomes hazardous waste and has to be disposed of accordingly.
Hope this helps,
Advanced Automotive Machine
1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100
Mineral spirits. At your local hardware/paint/walmart/etc. Use with good ventilation, and protect your hands. Dispose of properly. I've been busy for several days degreasing and wire-wheeling a bunch of old tools my Dad inherited. I have a cheap home depot pedestal fan blowing fresh air across me and the bucket, and I wear regular PLaytex household rubber gloves. Been waiting for the gloves to dissolve, but so far they're holding up OK. I got my good dust mask and full face shield on for the wire wheel operation. I'm protected. Better later than never. Next week is the local county bi-annual hazardous waste dispsoal for us consumers. The dirty solvent that hasn't evaporated goes in a plastic milk jug and gets labeled accurately and goes to the hazardous waste disposl site
If you use kerosene, it leaves a film on the parts, and they still need to be cleaned again. The mineral spirits don't. No matter what you use, you should wear gloves. It seems like anything can cause cancer these days. As far as biodegradable and non toxic, I agree that anything like that will be hazardous waste once you clean some parts in it.
Home Depot sells this purple cleaner/degreaser by Zep.
I bought a 5 gal drum of the stuff (its bio, nonflame, etc) mixed 50-50. Its so strong it ate the paint off the inside of the cleaner in about a week. Cleans very well, nasty on the skin, didn't take very long to get gloves on.. thought the "safe" stuff would be ok for skin...wrong.... You can see this stuff eat the grease off like DAWN.
I have the information at home - I purchased a gallon of it as that was the min purchase. I'll try to remember to look for it tonight. If you have a fax machine - e-mail me your fax number, I'll fax it to you.
A forum community dedicated to Chevrolet Chevelle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about restorations, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!