Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever stepped on it and feeling unsatisfied?
Have you ever wanted just to push the button and be thrown deep into the seat?

The cure is the simple: a solid rocket booster!!

Most likely it should be mounted in the trunk, with nozzle exiting the licence plate location. Trick is to have some mechanism lifting the plate before burn.

2,000 to 5,000 lbs of thrust. 0.5 to 1+ G-s should be adequate for a street car. Plus that is NOT a traction limited acceleration. And you don’t have to refill the NOS bottle too!

Burn time should be less than 10 seconds, for obvious reasons

Possibly, since the rockets can not be too big and the licence plate is quite down, a revolver-like setup can be arranged in the trunk for 5 or more rockets. Six-shooter??

Parachute might come in handy..

Murder others with 6-cyl PG “no nothing” sleeper
Have a 20:1 odds on a wager (heh).

So, does any “rocketeer” know of any such rocket or a stage of a multi-stage rocket that could satisfy these requirements? Ask SEMA, summit, jegs, surplus?

vortech,
mad gearhead from planet E

P.S. Maybe I have just watched too much road runner and coyote stuff

·
Registered
283 Posts
yep,too much road runner/coyote.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
Back in the '58-60 timeframe, I believe it was Chrysler Corp mounted 1 or 2 JATO assist bottles on a new Plymouth to get it up to around 150 mph or more at a dry lake bed, possibly Bonneville. I think it was to advertise a new brake design, but not sure. I remember seeing the ads in Motor Trend and other mags. Other old farts help me out. What do you remember?(I was a young kid then) von

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Vortech,

I had to search for this story and it's a little long. Its from the Darwin Awards site. www.darwinawards.com

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me!

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road, at the apex of a curve.
The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene.
The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and what had happened.
It seems that a former Air Force Sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO unit. JATO (or Jet Assisted Take Off)units are actually a solid-fuel rocket used to give heavy military transport planes an extra push for taking off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant had driven his Chevy Impala into the desert, and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed, and fired off the rocket.
The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows.
The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The Impala quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph (350-420kph) and continued at that speed, under full power,for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The automobile remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface.
The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet and leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.
Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however,small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically, a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading "How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-CRAP."
Note: this story is widely held to be apocryphal.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
Team Chevelle Gold #61

[This message has been edited by jeffc (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Awesome story, Jeff! I checked out that website (Darwin Awards) and those stories are amazing. Just when you thought people can't get any dumber.......

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
72 Chevelle
Team Chevelle #298

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff, superb story, man!!

Hey, i am not talking about JATO or ICBM here, just a small fireworks.. +100 mph or so in a few secs.

Though a real impala would be airborn by 200 mph or so, probably.. Too much air under.

Anyway, guy did not become a pilot, more like a passanger

I have to forward this to my other car friends, hehee!

vortech

·
Registered
648 Posts
a warp system is much eaiser to deal with, i installed one on my 69 and i find it gets me to the auto parts store quickly. be carefull not to exceed warp 2 in the city as rapid deceleration may overtax your braking system.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
sounds like another darrel waltrip story to me! good story though,bet that was a wild ride,man.good day! 67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-26-99).]

W

·
0 Posts
Any of you older guys remember the rocket powered drag cars from the late 70s and early 80s? There were many, but one of the more impressive was one that used hydrogen peroxide for fuel, Conklin Comet I think was the name.

There were some bad accidents and NHRA limited the cars to 300 mph blast. I saw this car at MIR, Maryland International Raceway. I was working at the track this evening, the owner driver came over to me and handed me a folded paper., He had written the mph he would run on it and ask me not to look until the run was complete, ran dead on the number, 305 mph. No big thunder or smoke, just a loud crack and he was at the other end, very impressive!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Beep Beep!!!

(Don't end up as the Coyote, You only have ONE splat!!!)

Dave H.
Houston, TX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.