Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 68 Chevelle with a new Herbert 496. Supposed to make around 600 horse. I will be using the car for mostly street and maybe twice a month at the drag strip. When pulling my old motor I noticed my tranny (400) was cracked pretty near where it bolts to the engine. The car had solid motor mounts.

Could solid mounts cause this problem?
Should solid mounts be used for a street car?
I can not find a location for a torque strap from block to frame so am concerned about energy suspension poly mounts....should I be concerned?

Any and all opinions and past experience appreciated.

THANKS
ANDY

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I have solid on the engine and a poly on the trans no problems with craked bell houseing as of yet. most guys will say use a mid or front plate with solid mounts and to use solid mounts on the trans aswell. I wouldnt be concerened about running poly mounts as long as both the motor and trans have poly. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
You should run a rubber trans mount and either poly or solid motor mounts. I could see this happening if you were running a solid tranny mount.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.