Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a 1970 Chevelle Malibu 400. It have 14 inch Rally wheels with old tires (P225/B70 front, P275/B60 rear). It is a pain to drive, really nervous on the steering. I guess it is caused by the old tires, but I wander if it can be a geometry issue as well?
The front upper control bushings are solid, aluminum i guess. The bushings are offset too, with grease nipples. The offset move the control arm outward, causing positive camber. See pictures: http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/rtveit/06092009278.jpg and http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/rtveit/06092009279.jpg
Anyone seen this before? What type of grease shall I use? No I have squeak in the l/h side after using molybdenum disulphide grease.
Can I replace all the bushings with Polyurethane bushings? My lower bushings are rubber.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would go for Moog rubber bushings. You will get the best ride and it should correct you camber issue.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Positive caster is a very bad thing for handling. I suspect they were installed incorrectly.

I agree with just replacing them with new bushings.

·
Banned
831 Posts
I just replaced mine with energy suspension poly bushings.... Get the black ones(labeled G), they have graphite in them. The red ones ones do not have graphite per Energy Suspension tech... I also ordered the extra lube and greased them. The bushings came with 1-2 tubes of lube...... The extra lube was $4.99 for I think 4 tubes....... So far so good...... It drives nice and tight. Not rough at all and I have low profile tires....... No wavy ride, no vibration, etc..... It really gives the car a nice tight feel, even at wot...... It also eliminated the excessivie front end roll when I turn corners under a over pass on the highway. It really improved the handling of the car........

·
Super Moderator
13,428 Posts
Roy,
The solid bushings are a drag race only deal. Get them out of there and replace them with stock type bushings.

·
Banned
831 Posts
They had some of those solid Bushings at Smiley's Racing here. I picked one up and man they are not the lightest things. It was a toss up with rubber vs poly.... I tried the poly for now, so far so good, you cannot go wrong with the rubber too....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I put the red bushings in my camaro.. They tend to to make noise i lube them once in a while
i just put black poly bushing in 67 elcamino they haven't been in long enough to know about noise, but are suppose to be quiet!
Both really tightened up front end over rubber bushing

jay

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I installed the PST poly's around 1997 and they are as stiff today as they were then, it's a good positive feel. After 12 or so years the alignment has not moved. I don't think after 12 years a set of rubber bushings would yeild the same results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts