Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank the guys that tried to answer my earlier post. I guess I did not give enough info. I would like to know about solid copper exhaust manifold gaskets. I hope somebody has some experience with them. Do they require frequent tightening? Do they work? I run a 355 with Sportsman II heads and Flowteck afterburner headers into a 2 1/2 pipes. Daily street driver. I make about 400HP.

W

·
0 Posts
Never heard of copper exhaust gaskets, who makes them?

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, I have used them on my 396 because I was tired of having normal gaskets blow out. I retightened mine after initial warm up and cool down, and they never needed it again. They never leaked and never blew out. Works good, lasts long time. What more could you ask for? Several companies make them, I used Mr. Gasket brand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wally & RoB
The gaskets are the Jeg's & Summit catalog.

The Jeg's catalog says they are O ringed, is that what you have Rob? I did not really wan't to go to O rings, but just might if I have to. Am looking for low maintainence, as the wife needs a little attention now and then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Mr. Gasket ones I used were O-ringed. Not a real O-ring, but solid copper that is sort of stamped into a raised O around the ports. This is meant to crush when you tighten them down, thus ensuring a leak-proof seal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I first read the subject, I thought it said something about copper headers. Then I thought man, that might look good!
John Walker

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am running Speialty Component Engineering"SCE" copper header gaskets on my 454.I had problems blowing out everything else including the steel core gaskets.Not these,tightened up and checked them a couple times the first week and haven't looked since.They are worth every penny. JJ-Upnorth Chevelles

·
Registered
171 Posts
I put some of those copper gaskets on the Sportsman II's on my 355 and they leaked like crazy. I put them on my stock 350 in my pickup and they work like a charm. I don't know if it takes a special size for the sportsmans or not but I ended up using Mr Gasket ultra seals on mine. I always double up on the paper gaskets and keep 'em tight. They have lasted about a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ken
I had a 70ss 350 and run regular gaskets I installed them and tweaked them about once a week for a month lasted 2yrs til I sold car. My 69SS 396 I run copper only tweaked them for a week no problems work great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I first bought square port copper exh. gaskets and they didnt seal right with my Hooker competition headers on SBC 355. So I got the round port ones, and they seal great. So I guess you would choose whatever matches your exhaust manifold the closest, not the exhaust ports on the head. I use a little high-temp sealant on my header bolts and havent had to retighten them. . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.