Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just charged my battery and when I try to start, the solenoid will click constantly and not turn over. Car has been sitting for 2 days so I doubt it's heat soak. Everything was working semi-decent before(I have a ocasional hot start problem even with a heat shield). I tried the search function but didnt find anything that really matched my problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The click sound is the solenoid moving. It happens when a car is turned on but one doesn't notice it because the starter spins the engine and you can't hear it. The click sound by itself is usually a weak battery.
Did you change the battery because it was doing this? Put in a new battery from the store? Battery cables in good shape? Clean battery cable connections? Clean and tight connections at the block on the (-) cable?
Tried jumping it with another running vehicle?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had the same problem. It turned out to be the power cable from the battery. Replace it with a new one and you should be fine.

You can test that by using jumper cables directly on the starter to see if it turns over. If it does, it's the cable...

Theo.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh heh......I always hate car problems when I'm half asleep, I keep thinking its some real problem :rolleyes: .I just needed to clean the battery terminals. Everythings A-OK now. Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts