Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Stuff breaks on high performance vehicles. If it can be broke I have broken it. No TLC from me, just hammer it. We are all different.
Murphy's law. With some TLC you can keep Murphy at bay.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
After installing the 540, EVERYTHING between the torque converter and the tires at least once! :yes:

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
One of the most painful breakages I can recall (painful because of the cost to repair) occured back in the early '90's during my pro mud racing days. We used a Lenco "high gear only" transmission like a TF or FC team would have, mated to a reverser. A simple shifter rod was locked into position and I all I had to do was stab the throttle and pray. The Crower slipper clutch did the rest.

Anyway, one race we had just completed a warm-up and lash adjustments on the 638" blown BBC, and were instructed to move the car over to the staging area. For some reason (probably the clutch air gap adjustments) the car was being cranky and was hesitant to back up in reverse without adding higher than normal amounts of throttle. I got impatient, goosed the throttle, and said "goodbye" to my reverser!

I still have about a gazillion pieces of oily shrapnel in a clear plastic bag as a reminder. Talk about UGLY......

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Not bad so far...a couple of TH400 trannys before replacing with a Coan built.
I expect the rearend will be next.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Grenaded a M21
Wiped a cam lobe
shredded a 12bolt posi carrier
bent all the intake valves
had two exhaust valves stick open
and then get bent over
destroyed a clutch plate
enjoyed every one too. :D

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
I have a new flyweel, clutch and pressure plate (CF) Richmond 5 speed 4" drive shaft with 1350 joints, Moser 9" because all of the stock pieces were destroyed (except the rear end) in a shower of sparks smoke and oil every were at about a hundred 3rd to 4th:D :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Sever years ago, I had a rather 'tight' p/v clearance issue, but decided to run it anyway. It was fine for about two weeks, but one night, coming home from a cruize-in, it caught up with me. Intake valve caught, broke off, took out pretty much everything in that cylinder, including the cyl. wall, and the valve head ended up in the intake! Like that wasnt bad enough, after waiting for a roll back for about 45 mins, who shows up to tow me home??? Two nice looking chics in the flatbed:thumbsup: ....they asked me all sorts of questions about the car on the way home, but I really didnt feel like talking much.:mad:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Several TH350s,1 TH400,maybe a torque converter,2 sets of 10 bolt ring gears,1 bent 10 bolt axle,2 upper rear control arms ripped off,bent drive shaft,396 crank,bent a couple of 350 rods,some 350 piston skirts,4 350 cylinders,1 cam lobe,1 lifter,bunch of bent push rods,2 flex plates,1 fender,had some armored seats fall out of a closed chamber head,just off the top of my head.Oh-lots of tires.

That's just the Chevelle.There's a much longer list for the truck,a lot of it similar.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.