Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If I understand, the GM chips are for Displacement on Demand. Trucks are being sold without them, trucks didn't used to be part of the CAFE standards!!
That is the worst failed system since the old Cadillac 4-6-8 they had back in the 70's. The AFM system is a huge failure IMO, how many customers has GM lost as a result of it? my bet is a ton of people. The same goes for the piston slapper engines also, GM just seems to accel at finding new ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Toyota RAV4 hybrid for my girlfriend but it seems that dealers can't get them right now... I started looking for a nice used 2020 and might have found one but I'm not familiar with Toyota's models rankings but I believe a "XSE" is a nice one... but don't lose your time trying to find a "Prime" model!
Claude.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm driving the newest vehicle I will ever have!
'96 K1500.

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
not sure this is true, but a guy was telling me one of the gm chip shortage was for the wireless phone charger and they stopped production because it was standard equipment on the suv type rigs. jim

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I was thinking more in terms of making the chips more rugged and robust rather than adding to their computing capabilities.

You should see the standards that we have to achieve to qualify a military aircraft system - mil standard 810G.

Shock, vibe, temperature, explosive atmosphere, salt fog, creeping fungus, etc.

Sure, an automobile does not need all of this but could certainly use some of it for better longevity. And for pennies of extra cost when spead over many thousands of produced microchips.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Automotive IC's have their own qualification system, AEC-Q100. Not to military standards, but more robust than commercial and industrial-grade parts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not that it really matters, but is that all super duty’s have a 2500 dollar steering wheel. I bought a 2020 f250 xl with about as many options that you can get on an xl. Compared to most pickups today, it’s nothing, but it would probably be the nicest package 20-30 years ago.

Honestly, I fought buying a new truck for as long as I could, but I can’t imagine going back now. I really didn’t want to like it. I kept having problems with Tennessee dot in my old truck( no tickets btw), so I decided to get something newer to hopefully fly under the radar. I bought it for work, and it makes my old 24 valve Cummins seem weak. It pulls my equipment like it’s not even back there.

I am really torn on how long I am going to keep it. I have a bunch of farm friends with 200k plus miles on their 6.7’s, but after warranty scares me. I LOVE this truck, but I don’t know if I would have it if I didn’t use it for work/towing my equipment. It takes so much stress off my mind while I’m in traffic.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Personally, I could drive a car with no computer chips at all. Wouldn't bother me one bit. Points and condensers worked just fine in my old cars. Revs to 8000, never a problem. Electronics may be nice, but are not a necessity in my book.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Yep, make sure you have vent windows and you don't even need AC. You lose so much of the driving experience in a cocoon.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok. Back on track. Do you think all of these year old vehicles are sold already? I'm thinking not but not sure.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
854 Posts
Mfg's keep adding electronic fluff to justify price increases and keep dealer shops busy because of complexity and special tools / programers, etc., and we the public keep putting up with it...and paying dearly. Kinda like a Ponzi scheme, when does it stop or collapse. Will be most interesting when the newly chipped 2021's and the new 2022's all hit the dealers at the same time. Maybe some of these dealers and their "surcharges" will get their "come upping",....hopefully.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
You know, everyone says they want a simpler car with no frills, but when one appears, no one will buy it. In 2000, I was service manager at a Chevy dealership. We had a new Z/28 on the lot with crank up windows, base stereo and 6 speed, I think the only option was the upgraded tires. Sticker was $20,995.00, meaning it could have been had for $19K, for a brand new LS powered car. It sat for close to a year before we ended up dealer trading it away. Meantime, we probably sold 30 at the $30-32K price point.
When it comes to surcharges, its college Econ 101, supply and demand. Its not a matter of comeuppance, just a free market economy. I know the sales manager at our dealership would rather have 300 trucks to offer, and discount every one of them,as opposed to the way it is now. Given the huge increase in used car trade values compared to sticker plus pricing, the delta is probably about the same as it was before the shortage. The problem will not come when we are discounting cars again, but when the people who had to buy now go to trade and are way upside down due to the price they paid, relative to the decreased value.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
You know, everyone says they want a simpler car with no frills, but when one appears, no one will buy it.
BINGO!

First they got rid of a-la-carte options and went to option packages (cost savings in production). Then a lot of features were just made standard because most buyers (aka the dealer really) ordered the cars that way. Again, for lowering production costs since there were fewer variations going down the line. Of course, this had the effect of raising the base price, sometimes considerably. But, It also gives people a false sense that their cheap car is somehow on par with a high end luxury or performance car just because it has the same features. (doesnt matter that they're inferior grade -and not that most people even know).

As an example, there were a number users over at ssforums.com who were "mad" at GM for not including Apple Car Play in the SS (sedan)! Or homelink...or.... whatever! It goes to show that no matter what, everyone will still find something to bitch and whine about!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to buy my wife a new Trailblazer but you can't get one without the stop/start option (well, maybe you can now??) and you can only get a 4 cylinder. Not to mention the uncertainty within the industry at this time. I haven't trusted this farce of an economy for quite some time. I refuse to go into debt for anything right now. Cash is the only way I would work any deal at this time. So, I guess for now I'll be wrenching and maintaining her 2001 Grand Marquis. It hasn't passed 60k miles yet. I could probably sell it on farcebook for 30k.😂
My newest vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Tracker waiting for me to put a heater core in it. Just changed the timing chain and rebuilt the head so it will be a good runner for some kid who needs a car for college.
Hey, I might be sitting on a gold mine here!

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to buy my wife a new Trailblazer but you can't get one without the stop/start option (well, maybe you can now??) and you can only get a 4 cylinder. Not to mention the uncertainty within the industry at this time. I haven't trusted this farce of an economy for quite some time. I refuse to go into debt for anything right now. Cash is the only way I would work any deal at this time. So, I guess for now I'll be wrenching and maintaining her 2001 Grand Marquis. It hasn't passed 60k miles yet. I could probably sell it on farcebook for 30k.😂
My newest vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Tracker waiting for me to put a heater core in it. Just changed the timing chain and rebuilt the head so it will be a good runner for some kid who needs a car for college.
Hey, I might be sitting on a gold mine here!
That Grand Marquis will last you for a long time.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
You know, everyone says they want a simpler car with no frills, but when one appears, no one will buy it
Our 17yr old Son just wanted a truck last year and we went in half. $4500 (total) for a 2005 F-150 XL Supercab. Automatic Trans, AC/heat, and updated radio. Nothing else and manual everything. Not even Cruise.

I will never buy a newer car. I would rather continue to put the money in my 75 4dr dually, Chevelle and Camaro.

Mike

Reactions: Lou Merrell
21 - 36 of 36 Posts