Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of the Sniper owners verify if the throttle linkage is already equipped with correct-geometry hole for a 700r4 TV cable? Does baseplate at the left-rear mounting hole have the notch to accommodate the Holley 20-95 throttle/tv cable bracket?

-Dave

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Can any of the Sniper owners verify if the throttle linkage is already equipped with correct-geometry hole for a 700r4 TV cable? Does baseplate at the left-rear mounting hole have the notch to accommodate the Holley 20-95 throttle/tv cable bracket?

-Dave
Don't own one, but the Sniper was my first consideration before it was released, so I called Holley and asked. Whomever answered checked and said the linkage has a hole in the right place so that all you need is the button head stud for the end of the TV cable. It may even come with that stud. I don't know about the baseplate, but there are several ways to get around that notch. For example this way.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
fwiw... when I did my 700r4 swap my builder told me to get the lokar cable setup. it is infinitely adjustable - but you still need the correct geometry at the carb as you mention. phoenix transmissions web site has some real good info on it regarding...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I recently installed the Sniper EFI in my car and I have 200R4 transmission from Bowtie Overdrive in my Chevelle.

I used the linkage hole as shown in the instruction manual and everything works great; the correct stud comes with the kit. I also installed a new TV cable (buy on from GM not the aftermarket junk) and followed the adjustment procedure. 200R4 and 700R4 are the same as far as the TV setup goes. I verified the transmission pressures with a gage because proper TV operation is VITAL for the 200/700 transmission.

I don't know anything about your existing TV/throttle bracket but I can tell you that the Sniper unit is wider then a carburetor, chances are it will not fit. Holley supplies brackets with the Sniper and they work well.

While talking throttle linkage.........your original accelerator cable will not fit the Holley supplied bracket; you will have to get a cable with a square push in connector. Not a big deal because they pretty much all the same and the geometry will be correct. If needed I can look up my receipt with the P/N tonight....just let me know.

That should ease your mind.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question on the Sniper/700r4 -- will it do any sort of TCC lock-up control?

-Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nope, you'd need an external trans controller. And by the time you paid for that, you could have gone straight to one of Holley's upmarket systems that include a trans controller.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
One more question on the Sniper/700r4 -- will it do any sort of TCC lock-up control?

-Dave
Several inexpensive ways to control lockup on a 700R4. The cheap throttle bodies don't have any intelligence or electronics that would do it, but they do provide vacuum ports that can be used to control a vacuum operated switch. TCI and others sell kits for setting that up. Can be finicky though if you have low vacuum.

One way that I think would probably be the least amount of work and frustration is with a 4th gear switch. Monster and probably others have a kit for setting it up. Some work will have to be done in and around the valve body with the pan off the transmission, but it's nothing difficult. Same applies to the vacuum operated set up, so you have to do some modifications regardless of how you actually control when lock up engages and disengages.

I control lockup manually with the mods to the valve body, a toggle, and brake switch, which is a curse and a blessing at the same time. I also have a constant pressure valve body, which takes all the mystery out of setting up the TV cable and line pressure stuff. Going on 4 years doing it that way without ever putting a line pressure gauge on it to get it to shift right.

Google "700R4 lockup", you'll get a boat load of hits, but I suggest looking at the way Monster transmission does it. It's simple.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts

-Dave
short answer yes. you can use one of the nitrous activation wires to control a relay that can send power to the lock up. Just remember the sniper controls ground not power. So it will ground the relay to activate it. there is a better explanation on line I am sure.

this video should help.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
short answer yes. you can use one of the nitrous activation wires to control a relay that can send power to the lock up. Just remember the sniper controls ground not power. So it will ground the relay to activate it. there is a better explanation on line I am sure.
Creative repurposing for getting a power source.

I'm using the brake light switch for nitrous control. Kidding, I get power and a brake shut off ground for lockup from the brake light switch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you have the older style 700R4 all you need is a internal 4TH gear switch to control TCC lock up, there are several companies selling them (TCI is one of them). I have one of those but also put a on/off switch under the dash so I can shut the circuit down because I don't like it when it locks up at 45 MPH in city traffic.

If you have the electronically controlled 700R4 (or 4L60E) version you need some sort of computer for your transmission.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I recently installed the Sniper EFI in my car and I have 200R4 transmission from Bowtie Overdrive in my Chevelle.

I used the linkage hole as shown in the instruction manual and everything works great; the correct stud comes with the kit. I also installed a new TV cable (buy on from GM not the aftermarket junk) and followed the adjustment procedure. 200R4 and 700R4 are the same as far as the TV setup goes. I verified the transmission pressures with a gage because proper TV operation is VITAL for the 200/700 transmission.

I don't know anything about your existing TV/throttle bracket but I can tell you that the Sniper unit is wider then a carburetor, chances are it will not fit. Holley supplies brackets with the Sniper and they work well.

While talking throttle linkage.........your original accelerator cable will not fit the Holley supplied bracket; you will have to get a cable with a square push in connector. Not a big deal because they pretty much all the same and the geometry will be correct. If needed I can look up my receipt with the P/N tonight....just let me know.

That should ease your mind.
Sorry to wake up an old thread, I had the Bowtie Overdrives braided tv cable (round not square through bracket, lokar style) and will have to buy a new TV cable to fit my Sniper bracket. I want an original GM but there are many part numbers, anyone know which one I need? 70 SBC with 700r4.

Part Number #s I found.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to wake up an old thread, I had the Bowtie Overdrives braided tv cable (round not square through bracket, lokar style) and will have to buy a new TV cable to fit my Sniper bracket. I want an original GM but there are many part numbers, anyone know which one I need? 70 SBC with 700r4.

Part Number #s I found.
I'd suggest just looking up the TV cable for a 3rd gen Camaro with 305/TBI and use that. That's what I did when I did the 700R4 swap in my carb'd S10 Blazer. So far, so good.

-Dave

Reactions: BURNN70
1 - 12 of 12 Posts