Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did I miss?

I've developed a ticking noise, more like a snap. Sounds just like a taser gun going off. Every one who has heard says it sounds like a spark plug wire is arcing somewhere. That was my first thought when I heard it too. Car has a rough cam so i can't really tell if it;s missing. But a freind at the cruise-ins says he can hear it miss occasionally.

I've run it in the dark and couldn't see any arcing. I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, coil, and module. Still getting the same noise. Sounds like it's coming fromthe back of the engine on pass side near the distributor.

Did I miss anything hat could be the cause? Or is it possible I'm barking up the wrong tree? I've heard lifters get noisy before but that was more like a tapping noise. Not sure about exhaust leak sounds.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Run it in the dark and mist it with water from an spray bottle.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
check your pcv valve next time you hear it. (if you have one)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Just put your hand on it when you hear the sound. You'll feel it.

I had the exact same "taser" sound and also thought it was arcing because that's exactly what it sounded like.

Anyway, it was the little check ball fluttering back and forth. Not sure why it does it. My guess is because of a miss when the engine is cold or maybe a sticky valve. It only happens occasionally so I have not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If that is not it, and you still suspect an arc, be careful looking around the engine in the dark while it is running. Pin pointing the location of the sound would help. Maybe internal to the cap where you cant see it (?). You could pull the cap and inspect also.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We both have 447 posts...odd coinidence.

Well, now I have 448.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp. checked the PCV valve thats not it. Pulled the cap rotor put old one back on, thats not it. Put a dummy spark plug wire on each of the 8 terminals to see if it was a wire shorting somewhere, thats not it. Even took the weights off the distributor and put them back on.

One other thing I did do, was take the oil fill cap off to see if the noise got louder and it didn't. If I pull the valve covers to see if the problem is in the valve train, How do I tell if a lifter is hung up or something like that?

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
You can check the exhaust leak with a piece of hose held up to your ear, and run the other end around the gaskets and flanges.

Did you run the car in the dark yet? That is how I found out my plug wires were bad, they had this neat blue glow. They were arcing everywhere.

K

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is interesting. Got under the car and started it up looking for leak. It appears the flange between the headers and exhaust rattled lose. Both sides. As I got closer to it the noise got louder. I noticed a rattling noise start coming from underneath awhile ago and it was getting worse. I hope this was it. Maybe I can get 2 birds with one stone.

I should be able to get new bolts and tighten this up? There isn't any gaskets between the header and exhaust pipes that needs to be reset or anything is there?

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those don't look like they'd fit. The exhaust pipe slips over the header and the flanges that bolt together are about 1/4" from the joint.

Tightening it up only cured the rattle. But after a test drive I stuck my hand back by #8 clyinder and felt a pretty good puff of air. So sounds (err feels) like it's a header gasket.

Hopfully, changing header gaskets is a fairly simple task.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.