Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $165 a good price for a 22 piece set of snap-on 3/8 drive sockets, sizes 1/4 through 7/8 standard and 1/4 through 7/8 deep, never used, with plastic tray and still in wrapper?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ok, I know Snap-On has a great name, but really, there are so many tool manufacturers that make great tools with life-time warranties at a fraction of the cost of snap-on, and I know, some tools with lifetime warranty still suck but a lot of them are good, like westward (spelling?) So why not save some cash and get some cheaper ones?

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can't find a Snap On dealer when you need some one to replace a broken tool. GO to Craftsman instead, it is not quite the same quality, but you can take it back to the local Sears store and they will replace a tool on the spot.. been there , done that

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
If you have the money and want to drive a Rolls Royce, then I say do it. Me, I can only afford Chevys and an occasional Olds (and I have to work on them myself).

------------------

W

·
0 Posts
DZAUTO, I can't believe you said that! You work with tools all day, you know the difference. There is no comparison between Snap-On and Craftsman.

If you own a shop, the tools come to you, ask Sears to stop by once a week and check in.

The one thing I did while I had my shop was buy all the Snap-On tools I could. Sure they are expensive but they are better.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
I've been using Snap-On and Mac tools for 30+ years and have rarely had to use the warranty. Everybody offers a lifetime warranty just to sell their products, doesn't mean there good, just means you spend a lot of time running to get replacements. One other brand I like is S K Wayne.I have a set of their sockets in my box that I've used for 34 years and they are in great shape. My Dad taught me 2 things about tools, if you have to borrow a tool more than once you need to buy it and when you buy it get the best. He has a set of Snap-On tools he purchased in the 1950's. As far as finding a Snap-On or Mac dealer, just ask the sevice department at your local dealer what day and time the truck comes. Meet them there and they will be happy to replace any tool that is broken or worn out.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry, 64 I beg to differ. Here in La. if you run to the dealer,shop,etc. and expect the Snap-On man to honor your warranty you are sadly mistaken. Unless you are very lucky or know him personally he usually will not touch your tools unless you are a regular coustomer. I and most of the mechs.I know have had to go as far as calling regional managers to get tools warrantied. So don't believe the hype. I'm 34 now and have been using Craftsman,Snap-On,Mac,SK & Proto,etc. since I was a teen and dollar for dollar I think that you can't beat Craftsman!! BTW I'm ASE cert. and hold an A&P cert.

------------------
Jungle Jim #105 Gold
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
"Fight the good Fight every moment, every minute,every day. Make it worth the price you pay!"

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had nohing but good luck with Craftsman tools.Rarely do I break one and if I do there is absolutely NO hassle at all to replace them.Unlike the snap on guy who wants to put me through the 3rd degree. I have a Craftsman tool kit that I only use to travel to the junk yard. Well, I got these tools all wet and didn't look at them in two months. When I opened the case they had all gotten rusty . I went to sears and replaced every ratchet and socket without a single question being asked.Thats why I like Craftsman. Basically, I never had a problem with the performance of any of the above mentioned tools.Just the ease of replacement that sold me on craftsman.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I have been a hobby mechanic (mostly) for almost 40 years. There is no question of the quality of Snap-On tools, however, dealing with them is another matter. Just getting them to stop by your company to sell to your techs is another matter. I will try to find a snap on dealer only if they have a special tool not readily available elswhere.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have been a shadetree for about 15 years now, ever since my dad bought my first car. He said that if I expected to drive it, he expected me to keep it running. All my dad and I have ever used, well mainly anyway, is Craftsman. To this day I have only returned 2 tools. The one tool was one I found in the trunk of a car I bought, they took it back and I walked out with a brand new one. The other was one I had, wet noodle me for this one, left out in the rain and in the dirt. Ruined the ratchet and it was obvious what I did. Took it back, walked out with a new one. Never any problems. I have a socket set from my 17th birthday that I still have. The only time I replace one of the sockets, is when the garage gremlins HIDE it on me. I'm not bangin on MAC or Snap-on, it's your money do what you believe, but $ for $ I get more with Craftsman.

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
You know those very snobby magazines you find in the seat pockets on commercial airlines? Well I was thumbing through one a couple of months ago, and it had an article on Snop-On tools... Need I say more. --- Carl

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use both Snap-on and Craftsman. My first tool kit, which I still have, was a Craftsman. I also have Snap-on tools from '82 which have never let me down. Nowadays I tend to buy Craftsman only because of the reasons mentioned in other posts: 1-Quality, 2-Warranty (never had a hassle whereas Snap-On you have to be the Pope to exchange a defective/broken tool) 3-Price, 4-Convenience (why wait once a week for tools when if you need something you can go to sears anytime.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used to be a Craftsman fan but lately I've got to say their ratchets are absolute junk - even their "professional" line. The last three ratchets I've bought/exchanged have needed to be replaced before I even wore the sticker off. One even broke while installing a carburetor (read: not much torque). I have some older ones that are still working great but the new ones aren't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I started buying Snap-on tools when I was 18 working in a bodyshop/garage(30yrs ago)on the weekly payment plan. Only worked there a year or so but have continued to buy Snap-on when I needed something and I could afford it. I can only say that I have never been sorry I invested the money in good tools. Yes I am just a hobbiest neither rich nor a snob. I have a weakness for Muscle cars and tools.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I like the styling and feel of Snap On. They are made with closer tolerances. Check the slop on a rachet. Put a socket on and feel the movement sideways. Quality and materials are sacrifaced because , the company that makes the tools under the licensed agreement from Sears using the brand name "Craftsman" change from time to time because they can't make a profit at the cost Sears negotiates with them or the warrienty they are forced to backup causes them not to make a decent profit, so they quit or go out of business. I have more Craftsman tools in my box and the convience of the warrenty is nice, but I'm slowly replacing them with Snap On.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With regards to my previous post, I'm not trying to say that snap-on tools are necessarily snobby. I did think the article was quite funny. I don't think there is any question about their quality, and also they make certain special tools nobody else does. ---Carl

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have Snap-on, S-K, and Craftsman in my tool boxes. Like all of them for different reasons. Open end wrenches, only Snap-On. Sockets (normal stuff), doesn't matter. It just depends on what it is.

T

·
0 Posts
You guys must have some real crappy Snap-on dealers. How do they keep their dealership if they treat customers that way. I must be lucky, but my next door neighbor is a Snap-on dealer. As it turns out, he was also my first dealer too. He set me up with a truck account when I was only 13 years old and worked for $3.35/hour. I appreciated him taking a risk on me, and I never forgot that. He also never gave me a hard time about rplacing a broken tool. If he didn't have a replacement in his spares, he opened a new pack of whatever and gave me what I needed. Now that's service!

Since I don't do auto work as a trade anymore, I don't buy as much as I used to. There is a difference in tolerances and feel on certain tools though. Comination wrenches and ratchets are much better than Crafsman. Sockets, extensions, etc. aren't as big a deal.

One thing my dad told me when I was a kid...You never lose your investment in tools. I follow that premise when looking for new tools. Also, how often will I use ths tool? Might make that decision easier.

Sorry for being long winded...I feel much better now.

Todd G
Malibu Muscle
http://www.qis.net/~tgeisler

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been using a combination of Snap-On and Craftsman for years. I like the Snap-On better, but getting replacements from Sears is much easier. If I had a good buddy who was in good with the Snap-On rep and wasn't planning on moving, I would go with them. However, if you ever move, you can always find a Sears. I have always had excellent results with Craftsman and I think they are a much better value for the money.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.