Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I was wondering the best way to leave a black mark on the road. Any tips and tricks are appreciated. Also, what are the hinderances to doing a brakestand? Are they really bad on a car or just something that you don't want to do everyday? Are burnouts very possible with a 3.08 rear end?

I'd appreciate answers to any of the above.
thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get a Jegs or Summit catalog and order you a line lock or also known as roll control.

Aug98

·
Registered
172 Posts
First thing you will need is a Line Lock Seleniod on your brake lines.This allows the front brakes to hold the car while leaving the rear tires free to do their thing. If you have enough engine, you can break the tires loose with any gear. But, You have me curious, Why do you want to leave black marks on the road?

------------------

–Joe–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
826 Posts
The cheap, cheesey, easy way is to just brake with your left, gas with your right. Yeah it keeps the rear brakes against the drums, but unless you're going to partake of this activity constantly it's not worth the cost of a line-lock. It's called "power braking". I used to do it at the track sometimes just for fun, although my ol' beat up Nova probably looked silly spinning one tire.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You should be able to do it now. I've got a 350/350TH auto w/ 2.73 open rear and I've actually impressed myself with the burnouts I've done. Why you want to do it, I kinda don't want to know, but you should be able to do it now. Burnouts can ruin your rear-end and I've even seen one broken universal before, not to mention the wear on your tires. If you do it, don't do it often unless you're at a drag strip.
I'll leave you with my father's infamous quote, "Just don't be stupid!!!"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Best reason I can remember for doing one....
Back in the late 70's, if you wanted to get out onto a busy street, lock the line lock, smoke 'em up, and people just naturally stopped!!!!

Try it today, with todays idiots on the road, and they most probably wouldn't notice!!!!!!

Life's fun! Play hard! and "He who dies with the most toys......is STILL dead!!!!"

Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep you should be able to do a burnout with 3.08s my 350/350 combo would roast a 295-60-15 all day with 2.56 gears and now it will do two of them all day with 4.56 gears and posi!!

Mike
Gold #34

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with these guys (nothing here you could really disagree with). If the car has the power, it should be cake.

I get the feeling that you're worried that you can't, and don't want to wait to find out when people are watching.

I hate to admit this, but one time I went to roast em with a 350 and I couldn't get the tires to break loose (power braking). And mind you, this was in front of like a dozen people. Talk about super-embarrassing. Course, the reason was just because my points were pitted, but I didn't notice it until I pushed it and the power wasn't there.

Well, in any case, if your car is healthy, you should be able to burnout easy. And if you flutter the brakes, you'll move along slowly leaving some nasty remains on the road. Somewhere on this site there was a proper way to power brake(or maybe just an opinion), but just go with instinct and be sensible.

Tony

·
Registered
326 Posts
Stand on the brakes. Stand on the gas. Hold it still for a few seconds, let off the brake and hold on. I left tracks last October this way that are still there. Hehe

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just a note of advice / experience... I blew the heck out of a tired old Torque Converter doing just that many years ago with an LT-1 that I owned. Make sure your Converter and Trans is solid. There's nothing worse than blowing up a converter. I have never seen or heard of anyone else blowing one up but it happened to me in front of a bunch of folks and geez... EMBARRASING! not to mention what a mess!

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

·
Registered
20 Posts
Avoid my mistake with my first car. 73 Monte w/350. Smoked the tires all summer. Ah 1980..anyways went out one day to jump in and saw something on tire like paper. Went to brush it off and cut the hell out of my hand on the steel cords. Doh

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Tach it up to around 3000 or so and pop the clutch....looks great.....oh, automatics? Sorry! hehehee

·
Registered
288 Posts
I got a 3.08 posi in my 66 and it will spin the tires past 2nd gear, with a little power braking(line lock is comeing soon.) I guess the 454/th350 combo helps a bit =) I could only spin em for a few feet with a 350hp 350. so I got the 454. no replacement for displacement.
I read somewhere on this site that 3.08's actually do better burn outs. because low gears hook up quicker. doesnt make sense to me, but I read it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a small question. I have been using the "Power Braking" method to do burnouts in my parents cars for a while and have never used a Line-Lock yet. I am hoping to buy a chevelle soon and I was wondering - if I install a line-lock and I engage it and glue my foot to the floor am I most likely to run out of tire before I blow up my engine?
- I the brake/gas method doesn't hold that long in the cars I used it in and a line-lock seems to be the best solution.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Originally posted by ChevySSArsenal:
Just a small question. I have been using the "Power Braking" method to do burnouts in my parents cars for a while and have never used a Line-Lock yet. I am hoping to buy a chevelle soon and I was wondering - if I install a line-lock and I engage it and glue my foot to the floor am I most likely to run out of tire before I blow up my engine?
- I the brake/gas method doesn't hold that long in the cars I used it in and a line-lock seems to be the best solution.
dont see how you could blow the engine unless you are doing the burnout with your engine in the redline.

just let the tranmission shift so your wheels are spinning around 80 :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.