Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a rebulit 350 .040 over in my car with fresh 186 heads. Runs good but when its idling it smokes a little( light blue/white) seems to go away under power. Motor has about 4000 miles on it now. Any ideas on simple stuff because I reallly dont feel like pulling it apart. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Bob,
A couple of things to check.
1. PCV system, make sure there is a baffle under the pcv valve and make sure you are using a good quality valve.
2. Could possibly be intake gaskets leaking from the underside. One test for this is to remove and block the pcv system, then shoot about a 10 second shot of Gumout into the oil fill hole. If the intake is leaking from the underside (lifter area) the fumes from the Gumout will get sucked into the crankcase and the motor will speed up a bit, usually about 10 seconds after you give it the shot of Gumout.
3. What type of valve stem seals did you use ?
Hope this helps some, if the smoke goes away under power (have someone follow you to be sure, sometimes it is very hard to see from the drivers seat) then I doubt that it is rings.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill
I'll try that tommorow. In item 2 you say block the pcv and shoot carb cleaner in oil fill hole. Do you mean in the vavle cover because I dont have the old style manifold? Should I try a spray around the intake with the motor running? The motor has about 16" of vacum at the manifold port but only about 12" at the base of the carb port( vac adv).

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Bob,
Yes, spray it into the oil fill hole in the valve cover. Make sure the pcv valve is out and the hose plugged, and if you have a brather on the other side, take it out and plug it too.
You can try spraying aound the outside, but usually if it is the intake causing the smoke, it is leaking from the underside and pulling in oil that is splashing around from the lifters etc.
Some of the carb ports do not go directly to manifold vacuum, so it is possible that you will get a different reading there.
By the way, has the motor smoked from the start, or has it just started recently ?
E-mail me if you wish, I check it much more often.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 06-12-99).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill
It started recenly but it is also intermitent. I was following the wife home yesterday when i noticed it. I try those tricks today. Thanks again Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.