Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my tach before winter and everything seem to work fine.I decided to get back on my car since the weather is starting to warm up and hunting season is over.Long story short the battery was dead so I jumped her off with a portable jump starter.The tach pegged out at idle and smoked litterally.I also noticed my amp gauge I installed pegged out also.Any ideas on what could have happened .Could it have been the charger I used to jump the car off?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
is the a good ground strap between the body and the engine? body and frame? sounds like the starter current tried to go to ground thru your wiring harness. where on the engine does the battery ground cable go to?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Any ideas on what could have happened .Could it have been the charger I used to jump the car off?
Maybe. Did you leave it connected while the car was running? Some of the starter/chargers have very high voltage (18+) and and it not good for anything electronic.

To prevent dead batteries get a float charger. I leave mine connected all winter. http://batterytender.com/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually bought a battery tender the same day which is hooked up now.I did check my grounds and there are none from the frame to the engine so maybe that could have been the culprit.I am ordering the ground kit to make sure it has all of them properly installed.I just dont understand why it did,nt do that when I first started the engine after the install.So I guess not being grounded when I used the starter may have done it.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
>>> "where on the engine does the battery ground cable go to?"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Tom,I checked and my negative battery cable (brand new) is conected to the engine block just above the fuel pump.I also found a ground strap from the fire wall to the intake bolt.Another strap from the frame to the inner fender.Thats all the straps I could find.I did the engine install last summer and could not remember without looking.I did notice the amp meter reads normal untill the engine is running then it pegs out.Not sure of the actual voltage but I could check with my meter.Brand new optima red top battery also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts