Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have white smoke coming from my exhaust.
Each time I step on the gas, more smoke comes out.
Is this a problem with the carb?

·
Registered
32 Posts
White smoke sounds like coolant getting into the cylinders.Have you checked the coolant lately.With the cap off see if there are bubbles in the coolant or an exhaust smell in the radiator.If it does could be blown head gasket or a cracked head or block.I've had all three and had those symptoms on three different motors.
John

·
Registered
367 Posts
This might sound goofy, and probably belongs in the "biggest blunders" post, but could you have put any diesel fuel in your tank? I drove my '72 Camino from Chicago to Greensboro a couple years ago. On the last leg of the trip, I swore I blew a head gasket or something. White smoke would billow out every time I accelerated, and it sounded terrible, but the guages showed all temps and pressures up to snuff, so I pushed on. After getting there and probing the yellow pages for a reliable garage, I found one. They discovered I had put about 8 gallons of diesel in at the last fuel stop. (In W Virginia) DUH!! They took down the tank, flushed everything out, and the car was fine after that. I was a bit under the weather on the trip, and had never run across a station that had diesel at the same bank of pumps as all the rest. They're usually far away from the other pumps. Guess I just wasn't payin' attention.
But now I look before I fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
another one of the white smoke problems is a blown vacum modulator on the trans. that is if you have an automatic. pull off the vacum line at the transmission and see if fluid is coming out. if it is replace the modulator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of our club members just bought a 70 SS and the car would puff out a lot of white smoke. Come to find out the intake manifold was not seated properly. After removal and reseating the manifold the smoke stopped. A $20.00 dollar fix. Hope thats all it is.
Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out that my car has been leaking transmission fluid. Could that have anything to do with the white smoke? A friend told me that the fluid could be leaking onto the exhaust pipes and burning off making it only look like its coming out of the exhaust. Does that sound accurate?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your car is a powerglide model, the vacuum modulator is one of the few weak points in this transmission. If you get clouds of white smoke with a slight bluish tinge this is a possible culprit. Most typically, the smoke will be worst if you let up on the gas at moderate speed, then step on it again; what is happening is that the engine is sucking transmission fluid up under high vacuum and drawing it into the cylinders when you open it up again. Open up the vacuum line going from the transmission to the intake manifold at the intake manifold and see if it is wet with transmission fluid; if so you have found the culprit. This is a cheap and fairly simple repair since the modulator is external to the transmission and is reasonably cheap. Hope this helps.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.