Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Did I miss a 3rd grade english class when they covered verb tense for "sell". I am not going to profess that I am an english major , but I am seeing this all the time lately and it drives me nutty. Someone let me know if I am wrong on this.
The quotes below are the only ones I could find in my e-mail box because my buddy and I send them back and forth whenever we find one.

"..and they will doing a sell of other things relating to that as well."

"....i checked shipping with usps priority mail it's 30.00 i sent you the
picture's i tried to get as many different angles on cam lobs let me
know if you want it.
i will sale for 100.00 plus shipping."

"....You can sale summer related things like tanning lotions,"

"....they will be having a garage sell this weekend"

WT!!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Sale is a noun

Sell is a verb

Yes, our society at large is losing it's command of the English language.

Example: Yo dawg! 'Sup? Sale me dat car fer two large!

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Did I miss a 3rd grade english class when they covered verb tense for "sell". I am not going to profess that I am an english major , but I am seeing this all the time lately and it drives me nutty. Someone let me know if I am wrong on this.
The quotes below are the only ones I could find in my e-mail box because my buddy and I send them back and forth whenever we find one.

"..and they will doing a sell of other things relating to that as well."

"....i checked shipping with usps priority mail it's 30.00 i sent you the
picture's i tried to get as many different angles on cam lobs let me
know if you want it.
i will sale for 100.00 plus shipping."

"....You can sale summer related things like tanning lotions,"

"....they will be having a garage sell this weekend"

WT!!

I actually see this stuff on this site all the time, makes me CRAZY....

·
Registered
157 Posts
What bugs me is the misuse of: There, their, they're, and your, you're.

Here is a correct usage example of all of these words.

They're going to put their bags over there and you're going to put your bag over there too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What bugs me is the misuse of: There, their, they're, and your, you're.

Here is a correct usage example of all of these words.

They're going to put their bags over there and you're going to put your bag over there too.
I know how to use those correctly, but am sometimes guilty of THERE misuse if I am in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I"m jest giltty?

·
Registered
559 Posts
The one that gets me is that people say in person 'I seen' instead of 'I saw' or 'I have seen'. Everyone makes typos but when you start talking with poor grammar you really notice it.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
english class??:confused:
verb tense??:confused:
:p It's FRIIIIIDAYYYYY

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
english class??:confused:
verb tense??:confused:
:p It's FRIIIIIDAYYYYY
I'll expect you back here Monday morning with a 500 word written report on the subject. :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Admittedly I’m not perfect when it comes to spelling or using a homophone in the proper context but one of the most common misuses that gets under my skin is “My car has disk breaks.” Some of the other common misspelled words that I see often are convertable instead of convertible, camero instead of camaro and carburator instead of carburetor.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The ones that bug me... The use of the GOT or GOTS instead of HAVE.

or the use of double negatives and the word ain't, for instance: There ain't nothing wrong with that car.

Okay, so there is something wrong with the car? :)

oh and of course using the work ideal in place of idea. "I have and ideal"

Big D

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
The last english class I took, the instructor told us not to use "texting" abbreviations in our paper.:D

It was a community college, but this was above english 101.:(:D

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Admittedly I’m not perfect when it comes to spelling or using a homophone in the proper context but one of the most common misuses that gets under my skin is “My car has disk breaks.” Some of the other common misspelled words that I see often are convertable instead of convertible, camero instead of camaro and carburator instead of carburetor.

There was a Firebird near me with the personalized plate "camara". I saw the owner one day and asked why the Camaro plate on the Firebird. He looked at me with a puzzled look and said " my last name is Camara." He had never even thought about the relationship to a car brand name! I see the same plates on an S-10 Blazer now.

Paul

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
You have it all wrong, We all should be learning spanish as that will soon be the standard language. :D

LK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts