Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I get into my 69 Chevelle after having driven my modern daily driver, I'm struck by the huge diameter of the steering wheel. I imagine that steering wheels back then were made large enough to accomodate the cars that were sold w/o power steering, but with it, it is uneccessary. I was wondering if anyone knows if any repro mfgrs. are producing a smaller diameter original style (standard) wheel for these cars. I think it would be a great product since it would give a better feel when used with p/s and I doubt that many observers would notice the difference from the original.
Thanks,
Rich

· Registered
18,121 Posts
oddly enough, a Chevette wheel looks right in older cars. i think the same wheel was used in Monza's, too.

some Buick Regals and LeSabers in the early 80's had a wheel that looks a lot like the old wooden wheels of the 60's, but in a smaller diameter and with a more comfortable padded grip. Regal T Type and Grand National wheels also look good in older cars, and come with a real leather grip.

· Registered
729 Posts
You'd think the 4-spoke sport wheel, used by Chevy on Vega GT, Camaro & Chevelle would've been repro'd by now.

The diameter was good, but the outer rim still a bit thin. We cured that by
using a really nice leather WHEELSKIN cover to thicken it.

Gave the wheel a whole new feel, & looked like a luxury OEM option.

Hope this helps someone.

· Registered
7,099 Posts
I've seen ads in the back of the free "drive" magazine for a guy or a company that cuts down stock wheels and modifies them and or carries modified stock steering wheels that are smaller diameter.

I think I still have the mag at home, will check tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.