Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I;m looking for a small 12V push/pull switch, similar to the Hurst reverse light switch BUT much smaller or with a lever style toggle. Clearance issues on a Richmond 5 speed/Long shfter require a very small switch OR one that has an actuating arm rather than the simple plunger.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Gene, If you can get your hands on a Cole Hersee catalog #D-271 and look on page # 72, you might see something that you can use. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
My Megashifter has what is calle a "micro-roller switch" has a swinging lever arm with a roller on the tip. Radio shack has them, also they have mounsting holes in the case. I used one in my trunk to turn on a light in it.

http://www.nkkswitches.com/products.asp

is what I use at work. more interface panel oriented.

Also look here
http://www.cherrycorp.com/products/US/switches/sasel.htm

they have a good picture line that will help you "visualize" the solution.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leo, I was in the Cole Hersee catalog. Closest is the M 628 ( i have the #'s at work), but still look too big.

Mike, you describe what I'm looking for, but the RS switch is way too small. Guess a trip to a real electrical supply house is in order. I'll post the results.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 03-18-2002).]

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm beginning to think that Mike is the "go to guy" for locating odd switching devices.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 2-19-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Radio Shack switches are much too small, I only saw large marine switches in the Cole Hersee catalog ( on line so maybe I missed ), but if you pick up a GC 35-824 you'll be all set. $5.35, so Hurst must be really making $$ on their $18 switch.

For you Richie 5 folks, with the shifter mounted high and forward, this is the switch to use. Spades to fit my "GM OEM style" terminals. You'll still need a strap of metal for mounting purposes.

------------------
Gene
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjlandry:
I'm beginning to think that Mike is the "go to guy" for locating odd switching devices.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you know the code CJ

"Adapt and Overcome"

Glad it Worked Gene. BTW I want to drive your car once at CB. never driven a manual Big block car.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup Michael, no problemo. Its different for sure.

Well, at least the reverse light switch is done on the new tranny, now to get it up on my friends lift before his wife has their new baby!

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a shop locally, Radio Equipment, that had a big display, so I could physically see them. Dont really know much about these things, so I had to see them to get the size right. But if you click on this link, you can get an idea. the pics arent good.

http://kenselectronics.com/lists/switches.htm

The 35-824 is pictured there, its under GC-35-0824 in the price list. $3.92 It has the long arm off it. Plenty of travel for the reverse arm. Might goop some mastic around it, might not.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 03-22-2002).]

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
L78, we are in the process of shopping a digital camera. If I pick it up before the tranny goes in ( unfortuntately looking likely as the tranny job has been pushed off a month ), I'll shoot some pics.

Its dreadfully simple though. A 3/4" wide strip of aluminum shaped in a "L" with a 3/8" hole ( goes over the stop bolt ), 3/4" from hole center to bend in "L", and the swtich mounts on the long part of the "L".

I'm sure someone less mechanically challenged can figure a better mthod, but it works.
EDIT: Re: the switch: you dont need a long arm on the actuator since the mounting strap puts the switch lower than it really should be.( closer to the reverse arm) so I ended up cutting the actuating arm off slightly.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 03-25-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Gene-

Is this what you're describing in your last post? Or is the Richie 5speed different?

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
17,553 Posts
RiskyVt,

The Richmond has the reverse light on the front side of the shifter (because the shift pattern has "Reverse" pulled back, not pushed forward like the Muncie pattern...

I was going to just try to swap over my Hurst switch when I did this swap, but thanks to Gene, I now know it probably won't work...

I am sure its an easy fab, just like to see some photos of Genes bracket to get ideas...

I guess I'll have to pick up one of those switches...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Quik66.jpg
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/eng7.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts