Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a chrome permanent magnet starter for my small block.
In the original wiring you have two wires that come down in the harness. One is yellow and one is purple. With the stock starters, on the solenoid you have two small posts, one is marked with a 'R'(the outer) and as I remember a 'S' on the inner post.

The new starter only has the one post on the inner side. Which wire goes to that? Both terminal lugs would physically fit onto the stud. I'm assuming that you don't use the wire that use to go to the one marked 'R' on the old style.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You are assuming correctly. You need to hook up the purple wire. The yellow wire should not be hooked up but sleeved off and tied back. I hope you have a HEI set-up in the car. You need the yellow wire for a points distributor but your modern starter doesn't have a place for it.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
You can use a relay. The ground for the relay coil to ground. The relay coil + to the post with the purple wire. Jumper this to the COMMON post and put the Yellow to the NO post. This will supply +12V to the resistor wire while cranking.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a dumb question tonight and I am full of cough medicine(which is loaded with codine) so I am not too clear thinking...please excuse my asking.

If the purple wire is the "start" wire from the ig switch that is fed with 12volts to initiate the solenoid on the starter, then why can't you tie the yellow wire to the same post with a 10 amp diode (to block the coil voltage from getting to the "s" terminal) that is a full voltage conduit to the coil while cranking. Doesn't this achieve the very same thing without relays?

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll give you one good reason. Starters for GM engines are tempremental. They dont like heat. The soleniod needs a good solid 12 volts at the purple wire to work. With the heat and pull of the coil, you will have starter engagment problems. Go with the relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts