Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What air compressor (CHEAP PLEASE) that will fill the 4 flat tires in my moms garage (her car has been sitting 10 years there) . Like does HF's $10 cheapy model work???

Mind you I have a 80 gallon compressor at my house...

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
The HF will work, but it's going to take a while and may not make it through 4 consecutive tires without a cool down period between each.

Any one on this page will be better. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=air+co...pressor+for+tires,aps,214&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_24 Pass by the first option. Looks like bad reviews.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tcisa-12V-...BDR4DHX98FE&psc=1&refRID=PWEAKT55KBDR4DHX98FE Don't have one, but good reviews, 3 year warranty, and should last a lot longer than the HF junker which I did own and was a piece of junk.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have had the small Harbor Freight pancake compressor for a few years and I think it gets a bad reputation for no good reason - running very nicely for me. You absolutely MUST read the instruction manual first (yea, yea, I know) and put it through a required 30 minute run time break in period BEFORE doing anything that requires a build up of tank pressure. They have various part numbers for these and this was a requirement for mine.

If you can temporarily jack up each corner of your Mom's car to take the weight off of each tire, the compressor will not need to work so hard. Your tire filling effort will go faster and not be so tough on the compressor.

Rick

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
Do they sell small air tanks? 2 per tire likely.
^^^ Winner.

You don't need a small compressor. You have a big compressor. You need a portable tank, OR you need to throw those tires in your vehicle, drive them to your home, (or some other source of compressed air) and fill them there.

If those tires have been flat with weight on them for any length of time...they're ruined already. Around here, a "flat" tire doesn't last more than a month or so before the sidewall cracks.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
"I have had the...

If you can temporarily jack up each corner of your Mom's car to take the weight off of each tire, the compressor will not need to work so hard. Your tire filling effort will go faster and not be so tough on the compressor."

Rick
I had to think about that for a bit. I was thinking about inflating a flat with the car sitting on it vs inflating a un-inflated tire off the vehicle. If I install the inflated-off-the-vehicle wheel and tire, will it deflect more than the tire inflated on the car? (same inflation psig) Why or why not?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I believe the tire fills faster without any weight on it because the compressor does not struggle so hard. The compressor can move more cubic feet of air at low pressure than it can at high pressure.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up buying the Harbor Freight compressor for $62.00

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...lon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

It was able to fill all 4 tires EASILY and effortlessly. Being VW with skinny tires it was a breeze. The do go on sale at times as well sometimes knocking off $15 from the price .

An air tank is good if you are out in the boonies with no power (electrical) but there are 12V DC compressors.

I chose this 110V compressor cause it can be a gift to one of my sons in his garage (blowing up basketballs, tires on his bike, etc.) :nerd:

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts