Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small block 350/300HP with a Rochester Quadrajet and on the passenger's side engine there is a black circular thing that has two wires going into it and it says RICH and LEAN on it. It ties into the vacuum line that goes into the distributor. Is this thing original? Also does my car save gas if the TCS is working? It's missing the TCS solenoid and only has one purple wire going to the relay.

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | 11-17-69
Green Mist w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP Small Block

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,129 Posts
Are you sure you have a Q-Jet? The Holley choke has two wires, the Q-Jet has only one wire. The vacuum hose to the distributor is not involved in any way with the choke. The gas mileage will be better if the hose from the dist is hooked directly to a ported vac source on the carb, the TCS deal is smog reducer, eliminates vac advance except in high gear. Better look over that carb again, you may have a Holley replacement for a Q-Jet there.

Tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a Electronic Choke Q-Jet. It appears that this version was made only one year (1980). All newer versions may have had electronic choke, but are computer controlled. Got mine from a 80 monte carlo with 305 4 barrel. Only has one wire feeds from the IGN circut, the stock app loops through the oil press switch, but that is a 2 wire version similar to a fuel pump shutoff. That kills the choke power when the engine is off to avoid false heating of the element.

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm positive it's a Rochester quadrajet (it says it right on the side) and I looked at it better and it's not hooked up to any vacuum advance hoses- the ones I was talking about go behind it. There is a lever that comes out of the back of it and controls the main air intake door in the carburator. As for the wires that go to it one of them is red and goes to a bolt that holds the carburator down and the other one is black with a blue stripe and I think it goes to the fuse box (I couldn't trace it because it's covered in tape). It looks like an aftermarket part because the carburetor already has a choke (looks like a very small bowl with a lever coming out of the back).

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | 11-17-69
Green Mist w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP Dual Exhaust

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.