Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a clean 67 Wagon with a 283/PG, will a 350/TH350 swap in without driveshaft modification. The 350/350 is out of a 72 Impala. In fact now that I think about it the trans might even be a TH400.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Since I don't subscribe to automatics, I'm not that familiar with T-350s, although I do know that there are 2 different length tail housings. If you have the tailhousing on your T-350 that is the same length as the P-glide, then your 350/350 should be a drop-in swap for the 283/glide. But if it is a T-400, you for sure WILL have to change to a T-400 yoke on the driveshaft and you may need to shorten the driveshaft for a T-400.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
I hate double posts
sorry all

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 01-21-2000).]

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
I got my 400sb from a 72 Impala 4 dr and it had a th350 behind it. it was the long tail housing 9" I beleive and had a real strange flange hook up at the differential end like on a 4x4 transfer case. I saved the driveshaft and the tube part is actually shorter than the tube on my 64. The yoke is the same as on the PG. If it is the 6" tail housing it will fit the same as the PG. The engine is a bolt in.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
the impala will definately have a long tail trans, and will not be a direct swap in place of the glide. You can either put in the long tail trans and shorten the wagon drive shaft, or get a short tail trans and you will not have to mod your driveshaft. You can do it either way, its up to you.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
just check the tail for either a 6" or 9" tail the 6 will fit the 9 won't usually used in trucks, i can't see spending $150 to cut/balance the driveshaft just for that 1specific tranny not to mention the TH350's are a dime a doz.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.