Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just picked up my first copy of CHP, the November 2001 issue. A while back I posted a thread looking for suggestions for some improvements to my small block. It appears as though CHP has been already working on it. Unfortunately, I don’t have October’s issue so I don’t know if they started with a crate engine or what.

Since my 69 350 has almost 95,000 miles on it, it could probably use a rebuild (no significant problems at this time though). I’m still looking for suggestions. I want a street engine but a little more power from a stop. I’d also like to have decent mileage on the road (about 18 now on 94 octane pump gas). I'd like to use the original block.

I’m planning on changing the rear (that’s another story) and putting an overdrive transmission in place of the PG.

1. Does anyone know where I can pick up CHP’s October issue or at least the article on building up the small block?
2. Does anyone have any good ideas for the build up (carb. or fuel injection, heads, intake, Ignition, etc.)?
3. What kind of machine work am I going to need?

TIA

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Bob,
The engine your'e refering to is a roller motor with Vortec heads, GM Hot Cam, and roller rockers. About 400hp @6000 and 420lb Torque @4000. They started with a roller block so you would have to have the machine work done for that in addition to the other stuff if your'e using your non-roller block. It could get expensive. I've seen CHP in the grocery store mag sections.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Go through the issue you have, there will be something in there about back issues... You don't need a roller engine to get power or mileage out of a small block. Keep in mind the mags are selling parts in most articles. The right combo of compression, cam, heads and proper tuning can get you into 400hp and together with an overdrive tranny and keeping your foot out of it, (hardest part) can equate to some gas mileage. My 383/700r4 combo at 65ish pulls in 23-24mpg.

·
Registered
514 Posts
try checking there web site sometimes they have past issues, just a thought

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - One legger rear

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. And most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened."
> > > --Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/engine.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.