Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling my hair out...I have a slow battery drain and I can not find out where it is coming from!!! I have a optima gel battery that keeps draining on me. I take it to the local car quest and they say the battery is good but it just needs charged. I take it home hook it up and within a day it was down to around 11.5 volts (it was enough to start my car) but I have not always been so lucky. I ran it yesterday to get the charge back up around 12.25V and a couple hours later it was 12.13V and this morning it was at 12.04V. I even went as far as disconnecting the alternator thinking a diod was bad in it and it is still slowly draining...:confused:

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Does it discharge when one side of the battery is disconnected?

To charge the battery, you'd probably need to drive it a few hours at least. Just starting and running the engine a while won't do it. A few days on a slow charger would be good.

If you have a stock wiring harness, you can disconnect the harness at the firewall to help troubleshoot.

There's no such thing as "voltage draw."

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I had a battery that was doing the same thing. I took the battery out of the car and it did the same thing on a bench. It may be just your battery. My battery would take a charge but wouldn't hold it.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Does it discharge when one side of the battery is disconnected?

To charge the battery, you'd probably need to drive it a few hours at least. Just starting and running the engine a while won't do it. A few days on a slow charger would be good.

If you have a stock wiring harness, you can disconnect the harness at the firewall to help troubleshoot.

There's no such thing as "voltage draw."
No such thing as a voltage draw?...Tell that to the people that keep coming to my shop with batteries going dead because they leave there vanity light on.Disconnecting the harness may drop the draw/drain down to an acceptable limit but but you still need to isolate what system has the problem and removing fuses is the quickest way Ive found...Maybe you were nitpicking about the word voltage when ma or amps is actually what needs to be checked but joeyv69ragtop had it right all the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had the same issue on my 72. Turned out to be the voltage regulator. When unhooking battery cable (because I was tired of dealing with slow draw) I could hear it click. I have no electrical knowledge or I could have fixed it months earlier, I'm sure! Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
No such thing as a voltage draw?...Tell that to the people that keep coming to my shop with batteries going dead because they leave there vanity light on.Disconnecting the harness may drop the draw/drain down to an acceptable limit but but you still need to isolate what system has the problem and removing fuses is the quickest way Ive found...Maybe you were nitpicking about the word voltage when ma or amps is actually what needs to be checked but joeyv69ragtop had it right all the same.
Voltage draw? No, there is no "draw" on the voltage but there is current draw to make the distinction. Voltage is like pressure in air or water and current is like flow in air or water. Thus the concept of "drawing" water has to do with taking some volume from a pump like current is taking some volume of energy from a battery.

Joey did have it right all the same. You can also use an clamp type ammeter and not have to disconnect any battery terminals and the effort of putting an ammeter in series with the battery leads.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts