Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fresh battery that cranks very fast in a F350 460. I had the same battery in the chevelle and it was very, very slow cranking.

I'm going to check again every one of the cables, but I was thinking about the shims.

I was thinking that not enough shim would be too tight but would that cause it to crank much slower?

It seems like it really shouldn't make that much difference where it would actually cause the motor to crank slower, I thought it was more about starter drag.

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
Shims likely wouldn't cause slow cranking. If the bendix to flywheel clearance was too small it either wouldn't engage the flywheel or the bendix might not retract properly. Slow cranking with a good battery either means a bad electrical connection or a bad starter.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Once a upon a time I put up with a slow cranking engine, went and got an optima battery, seem to help so I continued on. later on, just on a hunch I replaced the starter. spins the motor like an outboard motor with the plugs out.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
Ok just because the battery is brand new does not guarantee that it's a fully charged battery.A good battery with a full charge will read 12.6 Volts or better.If your battery does read 12.6V,then the next thing to do is check for a voltage drop at the starter's battery cable connection with a volt meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts