Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find front rotors that have a groove in them and the brake shoes to allow rain and heat to dissipate?? Some dude told me they could be ordered as a factory option back in 72?? Thanks

W

·
0 Posts
That dude is full of it, GM never made slotted rotors or drilled rotors for their performance cars. You find slotted and drilled rotors on after market brakes and race units where the have a purpose. There is also a major difference in the after market brake rotors, most are solid, non vented stlye rotors, early GM rotors are all vented.

Slotted rotors will shear oil and other fluids from the surface, drilled rotors help disapate heat.

In a street application, your vented stock rotors will work better than almost anything you can replace them with.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

L

·
0 Posts
When I put disc brakes on a Nova about 10 years, the system came off a junkyard 72 Chevelle stationwagon. The rotors had a single circular groove about midway in the center of each braking surface....not a typical slotted or drilled rotor. I wondered what the purpose was, and couldn't really see what benefit it may have had. My only I guess was that it was some sort of gauge to know when the rotors shouldn't be turned down any further.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry-

Yeah thats what I have on there now, but I wrecked the left front and I'm just trying to get a replacement rotor that matches the other one. I haven't found one so I just ordered a OEM rotor from OPG and it will be a temporary fix until I find the right one, or until I upgrade to a set of Baer brakes!! Even the brakes shoes have a slot in the them, so I'll have to change that too. I'm sure my car is gonna pull when I brake now, but oh well, its temporary.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I do not believe that drilling or slotting rotors has anything to do with heat. By their very nature discs cool much better than drums since the disc is exposed to the moving air. Ventilated rotors are made for better heat dissipation in heavy duty use.
Drilled and slotted are primarily for water relief since the discs are exposed directly to the elements - an extra benefit is that they clean other stuff (like oil ) off too.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the info on the slotted discs, but I still want to know where I can purchase reproductions of these??? The ones that Larry described, with the singular groove going all the way around the face of the rotor, on both sides.

[This message has been edited by 72Elky (edited 07-22-99).]

L

·
0 Posts
72, yeah, sounds like you've got what I put on my old Nova. I don't know what was supposed to be special about those things, but I've never seen a rotor with a groove like that since. Hope you can find one. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.