Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '65 El Camino came from the factory with manual steering.
I have a couple of problems with it.
One is that the steering box has developed a leak. No biggy but it's there.
The other problem is that there seems to be a lot of slop in the steering wheel before the wheels actually start turning.
This is most noticable on nearly straight roads as I am always making a nearly 1/2 revolution of the steering wheel in both directions keeping the car going straight.
There is no pulling to either side. Has new shocks, all new steering linkage and front springs with 2" drop spindles.
Car has recently been aligned also.
My question is:
Is there a different gear box I could put on to tighten this steering up and get some of the play out of the steering wheel?
I don't want the ratio so close that I can't turn the wheel with these arthritic shoulders but I would like to keep it manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Is there a nut on the top of your steering box with a allen bolt in the center? If so, Loosen the nut and turn the allen bolt clockwise. Try a half turn at a time, then check the play in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No allen head but there is a 5/8" locknut with a straight slot. Probably the same thing.
I tightened it up 1/2 turn and started feeling some resistance in the screw.
I can't take it out and try it because I don't have a radiator in it at the moment. Waiting for my ALUMITECH radiator to arrive.
As soon as I get it running, I'll take her for a spin and check it out.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts