Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a single piston caliper sleeved ? One service company says that it is not needed on that design. Perhaps, but has anyone done it ?

Viz

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts
it's not needed. the square-cut o-ring seal fits in a groove in the caliper.
The bad old multi-piston GM calipers had the seal o-rings mounted on the piston. Sliding up and down in the bores wrecked the o-rings early and often. There is an outfit in the mid-west somewhere that will install brass or bronze sleeves in about any caliper, wheel cylinder or master cylinder but it's pointless to do this with the standard GM big single piston calipers. The hydraulic integrity of the caliper does not depend on the condition of the bore. Rather, it's the condition of the piston that counts and they're easily available new.

There is or used to be a company called Vette Brakes or something similar. The specialized in installing stainless steel sleeves in the Vette 4 piston calipers. For decades they were really the only game in town. I believe the guy that started the company died and his children who took it over didn't have the same commitment to quality he did. Many complaints out there about quality and customer service.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, good info. (I've got experience with the Vette 4 piston sleeved calipers. Had 'em done some 35 years ago and only developed one leak years later).

For the Chevelle, I did find stainless caliper pistons, so that should eliminate any pitting. Looks like a clean, proper honing and rebuild should do fine then. Thanks again.

Viz

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
it's not needed. the square-cut o-ring seal fits in a groove in the caliper.
The bad old multi-piston GM calipers had the seal o-rings mounted on the piston. Sliding up and down in the bores wrecked the o-rings early and often. There is an outfit in the mid-west somewhere that will install brass or bronze sleeves in about any caliper, wheel cylinder or master cylinder but it's pointless to do this with the standard GM big single piston calipers. The hydraulic integrity of the caliper does not depend on the condition of the bore. Rather, it's the condition of the piston that counts and they're easily available new.

There is or used to be a company called Vette Brakes or something similar. The specialized in installing stainless steel sleeves in the Vette 4 piston calipers. For decades they were really the only game in town. I believe the guy that started the company died and his children who took it over didn't have the same commitment to quality he did. Many complaints out there about quality and customer service.
I had those 4 piston calipers on a 68 Firebird. They too were corroded and worn out. Sent them to SSBC in Clarence New York and had them sleeved with SS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts