Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help on choosing the right wheels for my '67 SS. ( non-original motor ). From searching the site I see that 15X8 with a 5" offset allows me to put decent rubber in the rear. This is key since launching a 515hp ( gross ) 427 with a clutch will need "big stickies". Other than the engine, the car is very original and I want to maintain a very original look. 14" are out of the question. I'm leaning towards steel wheels with a little center hubcap for that "showroom" look. Also, I purchased 427 fender, grill and rear emblems. I'm torn between putting them on or just leaving the original 396's in place.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Gene,

I think the poverty caps and steels would look great.

It gives a great sleeper look as most people, except for 'car' people, seem to associate a fast car with fancy rims. Likewise, many car people who see something with plain steels and caps as either a bottom of the line (like my 300) or something major like a COPO. The extra width of the 15x8 will make them think of the COPO (or at least I would)

Coker Tire ( http://www.coker.com/ ) has the rims (~$75 each) in 15x8 and a few versions of the 10 inch caps. Keep in mind that the Rally rims are not the same design as the steel rims, so 10 inch caps will not work on rallys.

As for the emblems, if you want a total sleeper, I'd leave them off. Both the 427 and 396 will imply power in big amounts.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kurt, you just helped me make my decision because that's exactly the "look" I want. I was toying with Cragar SS's ( the retro look), or rallies since they seem most popular. ( the car came with Camaro Z/28 rims which hopefully some Camaro buff wants).As for the emblems, I was all hot to order them from YO, and now I have second thoughts. By the way, this COPO business seems to have gotten very popular. There was no such thing as any COPO in 1967 was there?

Just visited Coker. Is it the "smoothie" that looks like the "po boy" version. What bolt pattern does the 67 have?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well, I don't know if there were COPO's in 67, but I'm sure that someone here will know the answer. I'm inclined to say 'no', but that's only based upon having never heard of one.

The rim you want to look at is this: (it's the red one with baby moon and trim ring)

O.E. Ford-GM
Bare or Chrome
Bolt pattern (5 x 4 1/2,5 x 4 3/4)
O.E. lugnuts applicable
O.E. outside knob style hubcaps applicable (10 1/8")
Sizes: 14x5, 14x6, 14x7, 15x5, 15x6, 15x7, 15x8

If you look at my car, these are the style rims that I've got on it now (mine are stock). I've got 14x6, and will be going to 15x8, with the same hub caps. the trim rings in their photo makes the center caps look quite a bit larger than they really are.

I called Coker some time ago, and was assured that this was the correct rim, but to play it safe, I plan to order just 1 to begin with. Then I can check it out before I order the other 4. This way if it's not correct, I only have to pay return shipping (and loose the initial shipping) on 1 rim instead of 5.

As for bolt pattern, again this is something that someone else will have to answer. I'd assume it's the same as other years (5 3/4), but I can't be certain.

I think you were looking at the blue rim with center cap. This is essentially the same thing, but a smailler cap which fits on the inside instead of the outside. I'm not very familiar with these.

Coker has a really nice catalog that you may want to get before you order. They've got many more photos than on the web site.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

[This message has been edited by Byfield (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called Coker on my lunch hour and found OEM wheels 15x8x5" ( special order - $70 bare - $91 chrome.)Now I can fit some rubber under my lowly little, bottom of the line, SS427!
I thought Coker did Wide O's and other tires only. This is gonna look so "uncool" that I'm really jazzed about it.( still have to get rid of those nasty ladders under the car, but the setup works very, very well ). Cool is the few inches of air under the front tires I hope to get when I drop the hammer. Thnx guys.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-17-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Gene,

In your last comment you mention ladders. I am assuming you are referring to ladder bars. If so What I did on my 68 SS396(454) I used the boxed lower control arms from Hotchkis and a set of no hop bars from Lakewood. The car launches hard I have no wheel hop. The big plus is you don't notice either of these mods unless you get down real low
. Would be a great feature on a sleeper........

------------------
Jeff A. ACES#841
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff, my only dilemna with the ladders is that the second owner of the car said the rear suspension really hooks up hard. If I find that to be true, I'll be tempted to leave everything alone. The car sits a little low in the ass and, therefore, the ladders aren't real obviuos. Otherwise, I'll follow your lead. Thnx.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.