Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '71 Buick Skylark that I got cheap for some general A-body parts. I am wondering if the rear-end is junk, or if it would be worth it to put in my '68 chevelle? It's an open 10 bolt Buick rearend. Did they make a 8.2" and 8.5" like chevy 10 bolts, or are they all the same? Also, how can I tell the ratio without taking off the cover. On a posi, its easy, just turns wheel and count driveshaft turns. But on an open diff, should I just do the same (only jack up one wheel) and divide by two? If I found some numbers, is there anyplace I could look them up for a Buick?

If anyone needs any A-body parts (or Skylark) parts, email me. They'll be cheap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It depends on the application,if it´s a stock
small block,then it might live.It can´t stand up to more than 300 hp for long if you are running wide tires and traction lock.On skinny stock tires and open rear it might be ok behind a big block.It´s the same rear used in Tempest and Cutlass.The carriers are not the same as in the Chevelle.The cover has a indents in it.The choice of components are slim.The choice is yours.
Hope this helps
HR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I use it, it will go behind a 402, M20, and 255/60/15's. I'm not going to do anything to it. I'll leave it open, and the gears the same. I'm just in a money crunch, and would like to swap out my 12 bolt 4.10 posi. I really hate the low gears but don't want to spend the money to get new ones. I would have to pay someone $125 (which isn't that bad) to set up the new gears. I'm a little afraid to mess with it. I was thinking I could just swap that rearend in and store my original one and put it in later. I was just wondering if it would take any abuse. I'm pretty hard on my car--I never go to the strip, but I do plenty teenage stuff (I'm 19). just wondering if it was a piece of crap. Also, do you know how to tell the ratio. I don't think I want to use it if it isn't some where in the low 3.XX:1. My 402 has a mechanical cam and might not like running that low of rpms. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I once bought a '71 Skylark just for the 3.42 10-bolt posi it had. I still have that rear end in my '68 GS. It is an 8.5". I believe that all the '71 & up GM A-body 10-bolts are the "corporate" 8.5", and they are all the same. They are also much easier to get parts for than the earlier units. They are almost certainly strong enough for your application. I would definitely use it.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
501 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a Buick rear end. The 8.2 is much stronger than the 8.2 in a Chevy, they also have bolt in axles. The 8.2 Buick and Pontiac rear ends were used in the high torque Buick and Pontiac muscle cars, The Olds rear end is the oddball. The 8.5 inch rear end is even better, so either way you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any of you know how to find out what ratio it is? Or should I just take the cover off and count the teeth?
So, if Buick and Pontiac used these 10 bolts in their muscle cars, they didn't have 12 bolts? I'm probably wrong, but I thought GTO's had 12 bolts.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Wad, It would be best to take the cover off. The numbers you will need are stamped into the edge of the ring gear and will give you the tooth count for both the ring and pinion. You could do a visual inspection of the gears and change the grease.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Only the GTOs with a 455 used a 12 bolt starting in 1970 all the rest used a 10 bolt. On a Pontiac rear end the code is on the left rear axle tube next to the carrier. I can give the the codes on a Pontiac but I am not shure about a Buick, find the code and I will try to help.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Would you like to sell that 12 bolt? E-mail me!

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, sorry, I don't want to sell it. I want to keep it and put it back in someday with new gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.