Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you install an internal regulated alternator with a single wire hookup , can you just disconnect your original four wire (white,orange,brown,blue) connector from the external regulator on the rad. support and hook the single wire straight to the old alt. wire in the harness ,or do I still need to splice these wres as mentioned in tech #14.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rancon;

I'm the guy that writes those dang tech ref pages.

The wiring talked about in the tecref14 is for converting to an internal regulator alternator that still has the sense lines.

If you are going to a "one wire" alternator, just hook up the large gauge wire to the new alternator.

Something to think about is the fact that your alternator light will NOT function. Maybe not a big issue, but it let's you know right away that a fan belt has been tossed. Before the "engine overheated" (ya that's past tense) light comes on.

Another thing is that I've heard that the "one wire" alternators tend to over heat, and that is why nothing has been written about them in "tecref". It could just be a story, but I really don't know of a solid source of information where I can confirm it.

I installed one of the CS alternators and can't believe how great it is! No problems.

Wes. Vann

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wes I have a "one wire" and I don't think it runs any hotter the a standard one.I am not in the habit of grabbing hold of it after a long drive, mind you every thing under the hood is hotter than I can hang on to.And the idiol lite did work for a while what I did note was after first start at idle it would not go out unless you reved it up...FRED

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Fred You must have left the old reg, in place and connected, right?. That's why the idiot light kinda worked. However you can't rely on it. Go to tech ref. #14 all you're doing is connecting two additional wires. That being the brown wire of the old reg. connector to the #1 terminal on the internal reg. alt. (the brown wire is connected to the light) now you have a reliable idiot light. The second being a wire from the bat. output terminal (same place you connected the single wire) to terminal #2. I don't think the second wire is necessary. A special plug for the int. alt is not required standard solderless female blade connectors will work. I do agree with you that the single wire alt configuration will not run hotter as it is doing nothing different than the three wire except driving the idiot lite.

Yes you do need the wire on the #2 terminal.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 04-10-99).]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Elree no my REG is disconnected I am not concerned about the lite as I have a voltage gauge.But thanks for pointing that out for the others.Some thing I should Have said before is not all internal REGs are single wire.If you are converting to a single wire you have to have a self exciting REG it takes its power from the large red wire and for apearances you can leave the plugin connected but you must disconnect it at the stock REG.Elree and Wes are right to have the lite work follow Wes V's insructions...FRED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.