Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason, this common misspelling is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!

Vwa-Lah, Wa-Lah, Wa-La: The Many Misspellings of Voilà

Voilà is a French borrowing into English that has mostly retained is Francophonic pronunciation: \vwä-ˈlä\, or \vwah-LAH\. It is clear that the \v\ in the pronunciation of voilà is sometimes not heard, and this, combined with the mismatch between voilà’s spelling and pronunciation, has led to a number of misspellings of the word based on its pronunciation. We have seen evidence for vwa-lah, vwah-la, wa-lah, wa-la, wah-lah, wallah, and even viola (for those who remember the letters in the word, if not the particular order of them). While these misspellings are more common in informal writing, we have started seeing them in newspapers and other edited sources as well. The correct spelling is voilà: if you have a hard time remembering how to spell it, you can use the mnemonic that voilà very often is misspelled.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,387 Posts
It is hard to spell it right when my keyboard doesn't have the 'a' with the mark over it.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is hard to spell it right when my keyboard doesn't have the 'a' with the mark over it.
This is true but you do have the ability to access the extended ASCII character set from your keyboard. But diacritical accent marks like the grave over the à are not a simple keystroke away. On a standard 101 keyboard, special extended ASCII characters such as à can be typed by holding the ALT key and typing the corresponding 4 digit ASCII code which in this case is ALT + 0224. Probably more trouble than most folks want to go to but, there it is! I would prefer to see it as voila if someone doesn't know this process.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,387 Posts
This is true but you do have the ability to access the extended ASCII character set from your keyboard. But diacritical accent marks like the grave over the à are not a simple keystroke away. On a standard 101 keyboard, special extended ASCII characters such as à can be typed by holding the ALT key and typing the corresponding 4 digit ASCII code which in this case is ALT + 0224. Probably more trouble than most folks want to go to but, there it is! I would prefer to see it as voila if someone doesn't know this process.
Good to know but I haven't seen an ASCII chart since I was programming in Assembly Language back in the 80's.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Well you know those old AF techs....! :)

I 'd like Claude to chime in here, do they say "voila" in Quebec, or did they somehow make that their own as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts