Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all-
I'm in the process of selling an existing wheel/tire combo and upgrading to another on my 71'. I'm wondering if it's okay to run two tires of different diameters on my one legger rear differential while I look for replacement wheels/tires. I've got the orginal wheels with 3 matching tires and one oddball. I'd like to get by with them until I find replacements. Will I destroy the one legger rear end or is this okay?
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
13,367 Posts
If its a non-posi, it will be fine for a MINIMAL time. ANY differential spins one axle gear or the other throughout the time your driving the vehicle-------------------BUT NOT CONSTANTLY! When driving with two diameter tires ALL THE TIME, one axle gear will ALWAYS be spinning faster than the other one (as well as the spider gears). Around town, city driving, that won't likely make any difference-------------------unless you keep it that way for a very extended time. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, a long trip on the interstate, that could cause some serious wear! If you're talking about running two different size tires, IN TOWN, for a few days or even a few weeks, you should be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts