Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i have a 9.0:1 compression ratio what should the compresson checker gauge read like psi? i think im getting about 120 is that right?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was taught that it's not possible to equate "PSI" directly with "Compression".

It has been said that typically lower psi readings like yours usually accompany low compression engines and the opposite for higher compression engines...............

------------------
Chevytalk Moderator
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Jimmie's right on this one. Too many variables ("unknows") needed to make the calculations follow through to calc. the compression ratio when just taking readings from a PSI gage.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Compression ratio is nothing more than a mathematical formula. It is the total volume of the cylinder with the piston at the bottom of the cylinder vs the volume of the cylinder with the piston at top dead center. Total volume includes the combustion chamber area.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Engines with high duration cams bleed off compression at cranking speeds so they would show lower psi compared to the same engine with the same compression ratio but with a stock cam. So no you cannot assume higher compression readings mean high compression ratio.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.