Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to use the aeroquip braided line #8 1/2inch now and i'am putting them togather.The question is should i screw the fitting all the way flush into the hose where it meets the cover or sleve its pretty tight now and there is about a 1/16 gap .

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Brian-

I've assembled countless fittings using Aeroquip brand braided hose, my favorite by far.

Here's how I assemble:

1. Use black electricians tape and wrap the spot on the hose where you want to cut. Wrap it at least 5 times.

2. Using a good hacksaw, dremel, or best of all a bandsaw, make your cut. There should be no "tearing" or excess frayed wires after removing the tape. If necessary, trim off any wires with a pair of dikes.

3. Carefully slide the first part of the fitting onto the hose with a twisting motion. Be sure that any wires make their way into the fitting. Twist this until you see the black inner portion of the hose "seat" into the bottom of the fitting.

4. Apply a liberal amount "all-in-one" oil into the end of the hose, and on the threads of both the female portion of the fitting and the male portion.

5. The one thing you'll want to watch when assembling the fitting together is that the male portion doesn't catch the inside of the hose, and push the hose out of the female fitting half. To verify that this does not happen, either make a small mark with a "sharpie" pen on the stainless hose even with the bottom of the red fitting, or place a small piece of black tape there. Note any seperation as you tighten the fitting together.

6. Work the fitting together by hand, then place into a vise using shop towels to prevent scuffing the finish. Use a open end wrench to slowly turn the fitting until it is tight. Don't over tighten, but make sure it's fully seated.

7. Using either brake cleaner or carb cleaner, give the hose a quick internal spraying to remove any metal chips and assembly oil.

In all my years of doing this, I've never had a braided stainless hose & fitting leak or rupture. Check out "Fuel & Electrical" section of my site listed below in my sig. Plenty of braided hose & fittings are being used on my 72 SS. Good Luck, e-mail me if you need any more help.

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info Gregg i sent you a couple pictures i;am having a hard time getting into the picture area here.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah, what Gregg said.
I just did my car the same way, Aeroquip 1/2" all the way. I do have a small gap, very very very small and i have no leaks.

Check on my web site, you might find some closeups of the fittings (I don't remember if I have any.)

If you need to, I can take a close picture tonight of a fitting and e-mail it to you as well.
Let me know.
Thanks

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i have it under control,i took the one fitting back and tried it at the other factory cut end with more oil just to see,this time i put it on the hose and the fitting last time i did not and it went all the way on this time.So i learned something new there with your guys help.Now i just have to get the compression fitting to stop leaking where i'am installing my braided hose up to the 1/2 alunimun,its leaking right behind the compression nut or sleve where you slide it over the alunimun line.It has the drip ,drip problem maybe its not tight enough ?Any tips there ? Friday i will finish it up thats when i get my Earl's 1/2 braided dual holley feed log.You guys web sites look good,nice work,and nice engines also i did a frame on for my 70 ss 5 years ago still holding good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.