Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 sb with a short water pump and a powermaster one wire alternator. I also have dart heads and a super victor water pump. I cant use the stock upper adjustment bracket that goes to the manifold because it sits to high. What is my best bet to get it might correctly. I got it mounted but it sat to far out for the inner grove and to close in for the outer pulley. should i shim iit all the way out to get it to sit on the outer pulley? Any help and pictures would be a great help… Thanks for everything…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - One legger rear

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. And most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened."
> > > --Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/engine.jpg

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
That's not a silly question at all.

Sorry I can't help.

Just moving this back to the top.

Maybe someone else can help.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? Anyone at all?

------------------
1970 chevelle

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. And most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened."

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
We ran into this same problem with our imca modified with dart heads. If I remember correctly, we had to go to a 3 grove pulley on the water pump. I don't know what your alt.looks like but ours is single wire, originally from a Suzuki. I will stop by the race shop and have a look, but I am sure the pulley on the water pump is three groves with the inner one being much smaller than the outer two, and goes in so far it almost touches the pump. I will re post after I go have a look. By the way, the first time I asked a question here, I found exactly what I needed to know. The poster told me there were no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Okay.... I went over and looked at the mod. They are in the middle of changing it all over to serpentine belts and putting on an external belt driven fuel pump for methanol. Seems a lot of work to me for one last race! Anyway, I looked at all the water pump pulleys we have and there are one groove, 2 groove, and 3 groove pulleys. There were about 4 different depths. I think you just need to go to a wrecking yard and find one of the 3 groove pulleys for the water pump. The inside one is a lot smaller than the outside ones, and I remember this one lining up perfectly. Maybe for an air conditioned car? Might not hurt to grab the one off the crank as well. There is one crank pulley there with 4 grooves in it! I remember this being a chore for us, but we did get there by messing with diffent pulley combinations Good luck!

·
Registered
543 Posts
my 402 (stock) belts never really did line up to my satisfaction. When I put it back together I did use some "shaft collars" with longer stainless steel bolts to help me line up the belts, pulleys and brackets. but if you go over 3/8" to 1/2" your brackets can be weak

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bcice,

any clearnance issues with the water pump and the extra groove? Did you space the pulley further out? Thanks for all the help so far i appreciate it..

------------------
1970 chevelle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.